How do you keep a filter wet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend did a water change. He unplugged the filter until the water change was done. His fiter went dry and he learned that 70% of the good bacteria died. Luckily im still cycling my tank I havent unplugged the filter but how can I keep a filter wet and moist while doing a water change?

:thanks:

Have a small bucket put some of the tank water in it an place the filter in the bucket til ur done with ur water change you can clean out the filter with the tank water u have in the bucket

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Have a small bucket put some of the tank water in it an place the filter in the bucket til ur done with ur water change you can clean out the filter with the tank water u have in the bucket

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

All the bacteria in your filter came from the air, if you cycled manually! Si unless you have exceptionally dry air, I think it's fine it's not submerged for less than 30 minutes.

Also agree with Koopa, that's a good idea to swish it in tank water in a bucket to get some of the dirt and fish waste out.

Thanks

Thanks a lot guys. I was beggining to worry. I'll send your replies to my friend. I hope they will help.

:thanks:

how did your friend determine that exactly 70% of the bacteria died? Most filters dont necessarily empty if you turn them off. Some might siphon out as you empty the tank; but you should be able to prevent that and just fill the filter with some tank water. Or you can remove the media and put it in a bucket of tank water.

My freind guessed lol also he learned about 60-90 percent of his aquarium bacteria will die off if the filters are dry.

How long was the water change? I can't imagine 60-90% of bacteria could die off in less than 2 hours, unless you were actively drying the sponges!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My freind guessed lol also he learned about 60-90 percent of his aquarium bacteria will die off if the filters are dry.

Tell your friend to stop guessing. 90% of statistical guesses are 100% made up and dont enable you to learn any true facts! For the media to truly dry out it needs to be completely out of water for quite a bit of time. Even if the filter empties during your water change the moisture remains.

Back
Top Bottom