How do you know if snails are starving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonnieC

Aquarium Advice Activist
So amongst all my new tank troubles, Im sitting here wondering...how would you know if your snails are starving?

Ive had the tank 2 weeks now and I never see any algae in it, it's alway been clear. Im becoming quite attached to "Bubba" my big fat turbo snail. He's big!

Is there anyway to know if he's getting enough to eat? Can I add anything in the tank to be sure?

The hermits I had were getting overzealous about things and kept trying to pick at my feather duster so I got rid of them. But makes me wonder if Bubba doesnt have enough to eat. (Not to mention, most of my other snails have just disappeared. Whether due to lack of food or whatever is killing the fish, I dunno.)

You can feed the Turbo some algae flakes or even a little Nori. If you have the lights on for at least 8 hrs he should have enough to eat. A light film of algae would grow on the glass and LR.

I don't see any algae at all, maybe he's just a really good cleaner, lol.

Seriously though, the reason I bring this up is that he looks thinner to me. His foot is starting to turn kind of translucent, like paper. And looking this morning, I see little cracks on him that Ive never seen before. But he isnt moving right now so maybe that's normal when he sleeps.

Or maybe my tanks gonna off him too. *sigh*

I just want to make sure he has enough to eat. Considering my Nitrates have been at 80 and most of the CUC seems to be just, well...gone....shouldn't I be seeing some algae growth in this tank?

When I bought this tank, there was one or two very light brown areas on the walls. Within 2 days, it was gone, all the fish started dieing, and I haven't seen one bit of algae since then. (Except for a bit of brown under the sand which hasn't changed any.)

How did you cycle the tank? If it's only 2 weeks old, it's likely not cycled or established. Even inverts need a properly cycled tank.

I bought it from the local fish store and it's already supposed to be cycled. Its 8 weeks old. Im guessing it has because I havent seen any ammonia spikes at all.

I keep the light on all day (I must be the only person on the planet TRYING to grow algae, rofl). This tank is one of the tetra half moon 10g tanks. The lights on the top are LED. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Run your finger on the inside glass. If it feels slippery that's algae...lol no, seriously that's algae...

It won't hurt to give him an algae wafer just to be sure.

Hmmm, I dont have an small rocks to attach it too. Could I use a small rock from outside if it was really rinsed well?

Hmmm, I dont have an small rocks to attach it too. Could I use a small rock from outside if it was really rinsed well?

Definitely not. Don't do that. You don't know what chemicals could be on that rock. Even if you bleached or boiled it, you could be risking the life of your entire tank because you may not know it, but the rock you put in there could leech out chemicals over time, which could kill everything in there.

Cut the sheet into 1"x2" strips and wedge it under one of your LR's. Leave most of the sheet exposed so the snail can get to it.

Last edited:
Thanks, got it! :) My one remaining hermit is all over it, lol Better that than my feather duster!

Do you think it's safe to pick my turbo up and stick him on it? Or does pulling them off things hurt them?

Do you think it's safe to pick my turbo up and stick him on it? Or does pulling them off things hurt them?
It's okay, make sure you rinse your hands before and after you put your hands in you tank.

Make some sushi with the rest of the Nori............LOL ;)

Also, to add to what TC said, make sure that you DO NOT wash your hands with SOAP! SOAP is very bad! And even if you think it's all off your hands, the residue that comes from most soaps could contaminate your tank. Just wash your hands with hot/warm water, very thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom