How do you know when guppies will drop their fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol well yes. Because she still fat. Wen she is done having fry she'll be skinny

Ok I got some pictures.
I might be wrong, but I honestly think she is done having fry. Like I said, the first drop can be very small. She is skinny. Female guppies shouldn't really much much skinnier that. Keep an eye out, there could be more, but don't count on it. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I might be wrong, but I honestly think she is done having fry. Like I said, the first drop can be very small. She is skinny. Female guppies shouldn't really much much skinnier that. Keep an eye out, there could be more, but don't count on it. :)

Skinny? did you see the pictures? Lol. Compared to my other two females that are slightly pregnant, she is HUGE.

Skinny? did you see the pictures? Lol. Compared to my other two females that are slightly pregnant, she is HUGE.
I did see the pictures. Sorry, I should have said she looks skinny to still be carrying fry IMO. :) I shouldn't have just said she is skinny. Whoops.

absolutangel04 said:
I did see the pictures. Sorry, I should have said she looks skinny to still be carrying fry IMO. :) I shouldn't have just said she is skinny. Whoops.

Its ok... I didn't notice a difference in her size at all... she got about as big as she is now, and stayed that way.

I will check on her in the morning to see if she had any more fry.

Hi there, congrats on your fry. I know a lot of people have already helped you out with this and mentioned things but I thought I would let you know a few things.

I have kept guppies for a long time and in my tank currently I have all guppies of all ages swimming around together. At first fry which aren't kept separated get eaten a lot until they are a little older. Now my new batches of fry don't seem to get bothered as much. Also, in my experience, net breeders work better than plastic ones as the water supply is kept fresh. I had an old plastic breeder once that the other fish could actually nibble at and suck the fry out an eat them! Hence why I tried the net breeder. I would recommend taking the female out ASAP after birthing otherwise you would have no fry left mind you!

Anyway, on your question of telling when the female would drop. I have read a lot of so called 'rules' for example the black gravid spot, etc. But i don't go by this anymore as i have had small skinny guppies give birth and orange ones with clear/dull orange spots drop. I find my most successful guesses were when she hides away/becomes unsociable and appears square. Also if you look hard enough you can notice tiny little eyes sometimes.. If so it is with in a day or two she would drop.

Let us know how you get on!

I finally got some better pictures of her.. lol... she hasn't had any more fry yet.

Ok, I got some better pictures of the two fry. It took me a while to find them...

You really don't need to move the females out of the fry tank. You need to have floating plants for the babies to hide in. Hornwort works well. If you can't find real plants then get the plastic kind and let them float at the top of the tank. They may eat a few but more than enough to populate your tank will survive. I think guppies drop babies about once a month. If you are going to separate the babies then get one of the net traps that they sell at walmart and catch the babies and put them in the net until they get large enough the parents will not eat them.

Back
Top Bottom