How do you know when guppies will drop their fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She still hasn't had more fry. But she has gotten a lot bigger again, and her gravid spot has squared off. I think she is going to give birth within the next few days. She looks like she is ready to right now because she is laying on a leave of a fake plant, and is not moving... she is still flapping her fins though. Lol

Ok.... Could you post a pics? Not trying to scare you but this doesnt sound normal to me

She still hasn't had more fry. But she has gotten a lot bigger again, and her gravid spot has squared off. I think she is going to give birth within the next few days. She looks like she is ready to right now because she is laying on a leave of a fake plant, and is not moving... she is still flapping her fins though. Lol
She shouldn't be having more fry in a few days. That is too long to wait. Like I have been saying, I do not think she was is going to have more. If anymore were still inher, they would have died by now and benn re-absorbed by her body. She may not have been the one who had the other fry (unless you saw her do it). Sometimes, guppies drop fry when you didn't even know they were gravid, so it may not have been her. This is especially true of first drops since they are usually small.
If she is waiting to have fry, then hopefully it all goes well, but watch her because she may not be doing well. If she is the one who had the fry, and now she is not moving much, that is not a good sign.
Move your other females out of her tank in case she in unhealthy. Also, it will be better for her to be alone if she is going to drop fry so they will stand a better chance of living.

absolutangel04 said:
She shouldn't be having more fry in a few days. That is too long to wait. Like I have been saying, I do not think she was is going to have more. If anymore were still inher, they would have died by now and benn re-absorbed by her body. She may not have been the one who had the other fry (unless you saw her do it). Sometimes, guppies drop fry when you didn't even know they were gravid, so it may not have been her. This is especially true of first drops since they are usually small.
If she is waiting to have fry, then hopefully it all goes well, but watch her because she may not be doing well. If she is the one who had the fry, and now she is not moving much, that is not a good sign.
Move your other females out of her tank in case she in unhealthy. Also, it will be better for her to be alone if she is going to drop fry so they will stand a better chance of living.

What I meant is that I think she only had two fry for her first drop, and she's close to her second... unless she gets bigger! Lol

What I meant is that I think she only had two fry for her first drop, and she's close to her second... unless she gets bigger! Lol
Ok. Thanks for clarifying. However, she would not have 2 drops so close together. It takes awhile for the eggs inside her to develop inot fry. More than just a week. If she is the one who had the first drop, she is still awhile away from having a second. If she did the first drop, she is probaly acting like that because she doesn't feel well for some reason.
If some other guppy did the first drop, then maybe she is geting close to dropping her own fry. Either way, keep an eye on her and remove the other females from the tank with her until you make sure she is healthy.:)

Ok I got some pictures. She is the one win the plain yellow tale.

Ok I got some pictures. She is the one win the plain yellow tale.
I don't think she is very near dropping. It is hard to tell of course because of the angles, but the one that is a straight shot of her side shows her to not be very big. Of course, it is hard to tell exactly. Especially since some drop fry when they do not look gravid at all. Good to see she is moving around though. Its also good to see that her fins aren't clamped or anything.

absolutangel04 said:
I don't think she is very near dropping. It is hard to tell of course because of the angles, but the one that is a straight shot of her side shows her to not be very big. Of course, it is hard to tell exactly. Especially since some drop fry when they do not look gravid at all. Good to see she is moving around though. Its also good to see that her fins aren't clamped or anything.

Once again, she is bigger than she looks. In the second pic she is behind the other guppy, and looks the same size. That means she is bigger.

She is definently squared more then the others and bigger.... Maybe a few days???

Sorry I can't get pictures... I didn't have time before I left for dinner. I am going to a new restaurant called "zombie burger"
Lol sorry this is off topic

Back
Top Bottom