How high do you keep your water level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Approximately high do you keep your water level?

• 16 - 20 centimeters ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21+ centimeters ...

• 5 - 6 centimeters from top of aquarium

• 9 - 10 centimeters ...

• 11 - 15 centimeters ...

• 4 centimeters from top of aquarium

• 1.5 centimeters from top of aquarium

• Total voters
It depends on the tank with me as some are constructed differently. But they are 2 - 4cm from the top...

And the cm is used regularly as a basic length in metric countries ;)

Old United Statesians (like me)--remember junior high and the "Here Comes the Metric System" posters? And when road signs started being put up in kilometers as well as in miles back in the 1970s?

Ooops! I guess it never really took off....a much better system, though.

plecoperson said:
Old United Statesians (like me)--remember junior high and the "Here Comes the Metric System" posters? And when road signs started being put up in kilometers as well as in miles back in the 1970s?

Ooops! I guess it never really took off....a much better system, though.

The US is the last great stronghold :)

Metric is way easier with the aquarium. A 10cm cube of water is a litre which weighs a kilogram. Makes it easy to get tank volumes and weights. Measure in decimeters (10cm) and multiply them and you get litres.

And yes, I was born and went to early school back in the cubit days here in Australia, but still prefer metric now :)

Why don't people use the metric system?
Its actually easier.
10 milimeters = 1 centimeter
10 centimeters = 1 decimeter
10 decimeters = 1 meter
so on...

and in the customary unit:
16 1/16 markings = 1 inch
12 inches = 1 foot
3 feet = one yard

flushingfish said:
Is that like " a pint is a pound the world round"

Not quite, since the US gallon is a different amount to the old Australian and UK gallon (by quite a bit) :)

a uk pint would be more like a pound and a quarter.

Now, what's the dimensions of a pint cube of water ;)

tropicalfish said:
Why don't people use the metric system?

Let's try to keep this thread on topic. Discussions of the who, why, where of the metric system can be better served in another thread (which I'm sure will provide some interesting insights as to why it never took off here in the US.

In the meantime, this is the first time I've actually heard of folks actually measuring the top of the water level. An old-timer told me:

"Above the trim, fish can swim, below the line, it's refill time".

I agree, metrics vs US standard is not really the topic. It could be served, better under it's own post.
On my 55G I have the water way below the rim, but I am thinking of adding more water. My 125G is at the rim as well as my 20G.

Jchillin said:
"Above the trim, fish can swim, below the line, it's refill time".
That sounds like some sound advice!!! I think I'll take it for my 55G! LOL!

roka64 said:
I agree, metrics vs US standard is not really the topic. It could be served, better under it's own post.

Yep, it's another US versus the world issue ;) But it is a pain everyone not using the same system, esp on an aquarium list where measures are often used... I get sick of converting :)

As for water levels...

My biggest problem here is the hard water and evaporation. If I don't keep the level up in the tank then I end up with rings around the tank that are sometimes impossible to remove... So I bang it against the roof these days...

tropicalfish said:
Is it true that high water levels prevent hard water buildup?

doesn't prevent them here, I just like to keep the level high and reasonably constant and that way the rings aren't distracting to view the fish :)

oh okay..
Its just that I always have this huge white layer of stuff (hard water buildup) all over my hood where the filter is...

I keep mine just at the bottom of the trim. If it gets any lower the water slpashes from the filter making noise that bothers my husband.

docrak said:
hc8719 said:
i think you'd have been better off using inches, most of us are american/english

i keep it above the trim as well

Second that. I grew up in Canada and work in the US. Unfortunately I use mm or inches in my work and have no concept of centimeters. Sounds weird but its true.

It is just a matter of a simple convertion. 1inch = 2.54 cm and 1cm = 0.4inch approx.

anyway...if someone uses mm, then why 10mm = 1cm is such a wierd thing...??

tropicalfish said:
oh okay..
Its just that I always have this huge white layer of stuff (hard water buildup) all over my hood where the filter is...

I would take a guess and say you're getting that from splashing and bubbles from the filter. You could try getting your filter to spill out into a sponge or something else to reduce the splashes/bubbles and that might help keep the buildup off your hood.

Personally, I also keep my water level well above the bottom of the trim

I keep mine a bit above the black trim. With high lighting and nothing between the lights and water, putting the water level at the black trim only lasts a day or so.

It's just more pleasing to MY eyes that way.

Depends on what type of tank it is. My 40 breeder has a lot of surface area, so keeping it full doesn't effect the oxygenation. The 55 gallon is pretty thin though so it really helps out if the water level is kept a bit lower.

I let my 20 High evaporate until I feel it needs some more water (around 2 inches below, or about 6 cm).

Nothing wrong with keepin it above the rim though. I just have my personal preferences.

Holy necropost, batman!!!!

I keep mine filled as high as possible... But this thread is almost 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom