How is the red sea Turbo Co2 system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basically it's DIY in a pretty package. The diffuser sounds interesting though. Depending on how well the diffuser works, it might be worth it.

I have 2, 1 diffuser actually with 2 of the yeast bottles hooked up. It doesn't quite cut it on my 55 gal but works pretty well. The idea of the diffuser is great, and in practice it works well, but I have had problems with the pump not working, I have to take it out and rinse it and then it works fine again. Not sure if I just got a bad one or if that is the general case. I'd also love to hear people's thoughts....I'm considering going to pressurized but still using the venturi and diffuser from the Red Sea kit.

those small pumps get caviated easily with CO2 injection. Every time i do a water change I have to double check my rio 50 pump on my diffuser as it always likes to get airlocked.

It was about $23 dollars at my local big al's so it seems like a pretty good value considering I couldn't even get a DIY system together for that with venturi. I'll need to figure a way to get my filtration to make less splash down. I think I've decided to take out my biowheel so I don't negate the effect of co2 injection.

not a bad price, considering the nutrafin system goes for $20 at most retail chains, and only has a passive reactor. Granted, it's an efficient passive reactor, but yours has a powered pump, which adds $$ like you already mentioned.

makes me wonder if RedSea will sell the reactor by itself for half the price of the whole system.

I just ordered one of these for my 55 (I plan to supplement with Excel) and I have high hopes. Does anyone have any advice? I am just to scared (and too broke) for the pressurized system. I hope this will work okay. I guess it's better than nothing right?

How much light do you have? I have 1 diffuser hooked up to 2 containers which I alternate changing the yeast every other week on my 55. I also supplement with Excel. My plants are doing pretty well, not explosive growth, but fast enough for me (I have 2X96 watt PCs). With my amount of light and this CO2 system, carbon is definitely the limiting factor in my tank since I also dose all macros and micros. I will eventually switch to a pressurized system but for now it seems to be doing OK.

I don't have quite that much light, so maybe I'll be all right. I have 2 x 65 watt Coralife PC....the two bulbs are 6700 K for plants. This is 130 w or 2.36 wpg. Perhaps this set-up with the Excel will be sufficient for my light level. How often do you think I will have to refill the tank? I ordered the kit on Ebay for $22.99, but I saw refills available at Drs. Foster & Smith....just wondering if it really lasts 4 weeks as advertised?

Mine seem to last quite a while, although with two bottles it's harder to tell. I also am dealing with some other issues in my tank so I haven't been paying as much attention to the CO2....maybe if I could SEE my plants through the green water.....although what I can see looks good. My Aponogeton crispus (well, the 1 leaf I can see 'cause it's near the glass) has grown 3-4" in a few weeks on the current CO2 setup + Excel. I'll keep you updated!

Back
Top Bottom