How long can fish be in buckets (moving)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Doing a tank swap while moving and it may be an awkward transition. Think the fish will be ok in some buckets overnight (12 hours)?

Danios, tetras, rasboras, Otos, teeny loaches ... Currently in 29 gallons, they'd stay in 3 buckets with about 3 gallons each, with their plants for cover. No heat or filter or air stones.

Easier than being shipped right? They've been in the tank a year with no health issues.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I would not do that. I would personally think 12 hrs time they would run out of oxygen and the temp would change rather quickly without a heater and possibly shock them; but stress them bad at minimum.
Not recommending at all❗

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks!

I would take the lids off and could circulate the water ... If I did add an air stone, and heat, would that make it ok?

How is it fish are kept alive during shipping?

I have done that while cleaning my tank before and works great on my minnows while fishing.
I think you could get away with it that way.
I can't answer the shipping question as I have never ordered any.
Good luck.

It's OK as long the water temp does not drop and don't feed them while in the bucket, a little Prime won't hurt.
Air stone in there is always good and if you do use a heater, make sure you don't cook them, remember it's a small bucket and the temp can fluctuate very quickly, try to maintain the same temperature.
Home Depot and Lowes sell 5 gallon bucket cheap, good for transporting fish, water changes etc.

Ok thanks!

I would take the lids off and could circulate the water ... If I did add an air stone, and heat, would that make it ok?

How is it fish are kept alive during shipping?

depending on how long they will be bagged determines what they do.
they use water that has been super saturated with oxygen.
even my lfs asks if I'm going straight home, if so they fill the bag with air, if it's going to be while, they use straight oxygen.

When we used to get shipments flown directly from Hawaii they were often bagged with very little liquid, but it was super-super saturated with oxygen and very often they would also use a mild sedative to make the fish metabolism function slower while in transit.
I remember lot's of times the water they came in was bright blue from the stuff they put in it.

In answer to your question, why not just get cooler big enough to hold all the fish, problem about temp solved, drop airstones in, oxygenation solved, you could even drop a small filter in there.

when moving/holding fish, coolers are the best way to go.
if it will keep your beer nice and cold, it will keep your fish nice and warm. ;)

Lol - that's brilliant. :)

Used to have fish in buckets for I'd say 6 hrs with no air stone but these days I just have a battery powered air pump. Plus prime.

Where would Ya keep your beer cold if Ya put the fish in the cooler? Bigger problem now...lol

The beer is for AFTER my friends help me move the fish tank, so it's well hidden!!

It'll probably only be a few hours, I just want a plan in place in case logistics go awry. One friend is helping me move the 29 tank and the fish about 10 miles ... A trusted seller whom I've worked with before is meeting me in the new home, taking away the 29 setup, and leaving me a 56 setup. Then I need to set up the 56 and put in the fish.

And my lovely assistant ... My almost 5 year old little man ... Is recovering from the stomach flu and his dad was exposed to it and is the one helping me move the fish.

So. Lots of potential for the fish spending the night in the buckets. Even before I break out the beer.

Another option- but some of those cheap large totes/Tupperware bins. More space for them that way

(I do have two 50w heaters that have successfully maintained both 3 and 10 gallon tanks ... I'll keep those on hand and go get something to pump in air if necessary ... Then hope I need neither!)

Good thing I asked! The fish went into an ice chest and everything seemed fine, then some important tools got left behind and my son had a relapse of Friday's stomach bug.

The fish have been in their ice chest for about 5 hours, I'm checking temp often and got a filter running ( took a 1 gallon container, filled it with water, weighted it down, stuck it in the chest, hung the filter on the edge).

I'm sloooooooooooowwwly getting the new tank filled (bucket by bucket) and drip acclimating the fish with the fresh clean tank water ...

One rasbora spent a minute on the floor, and one Oto may have gotten buried in sand and then (after finding him halfway through scooping out the substrate) had a rough ride out ... Fingers crossed everyone makes it. I've had the tank a year now and moved it twice, and have only ever lost one Oto to a filter and another after the last move. As often as I move I'm seriously rethinking my choice of lots of tiny fish ...

Nobody has had any beer yet. I'm eager awaiting a hot bath and a glass of wine after I'm done going up and down the stepladder with buckets of water. (56 column is a real bear).

Back
Top Bottom