How long do oscars live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew.hinds

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a red tiger Oscar. He is about 8" long and is in a 55 hex with a 6" Pleco. Had him for like 6 months and just started wondering about that. Lol

If taken care of properly, should live for a decade or more. Your 55 is going to be small as you probably know. Is that a common Pleco?

Oscars get bigger than a lot of people antisipate, Most cichlids live 10-20 years on average granted they have ideal tank siz and water parameters and such. I would say a mature adult in at least a 75-125, If you live in a tropical area ive hear of a few people putting them in ponds too. Not sure how much of a good idea that is tho hah

I'm planning a 500 gallon sectional right now. He will have his own 100 gallon section. I'm guessing like 2 years though

I'm planning a 500 gallon sectional right now. He will have his own 100 gallon section. I'm guessing like 2 years though

You are guessing that Oscars only live 2 years?

If so, that is not accurate. It's not unusual for an Oscar to live longer than 10 years. It won't even be full grown in 2 years.

You are guessing that Oscars only live 2 years?

If so, that is not accurate. It's not unusual for an Oscar to live longer than 10 years. It won't even be full grown in 2 years.

I think his time frame for the tank is two years, not the fishes life expectancy.

Back
Top Bottom