how long does healing take for HITH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porcelaindoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a scopas tang that I have been treating for 'hole in the head' disease. Does anyone know how long it usually takes until the wounds heal up?

You have a marine fish with hole in the head disease???? That I've never heard of. Can you get a photo? Are you sure it's not lateral line disease???

Hole in the head is a bacterial disease of FW fish, often spurred on by poor water quality. Live tubefix worms have been taken off the market many years ago because of it's relationship with that same bacteria.

Tangs are suceptible to lateral line which is pretty much caused by a lack of proper nutrition and can take months if at all to completely heal up. Here are some questions....

How big is the tank?
How long ha it been up and running with fish in it?
What type of filter?
Is there a protein skimmer or refugium?
What are the current results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and SG?
What are you feeding?
How much are you feeding?
How often and how much do you change water?
What other fish reside in the tank?
Does the tank have live rock and/or live sand?
Does the tang have any whitish line broken or solid starting to run down the sides from it's head?

Marine fish can get Lateral line disease also. I`ve had a couple of fish with this and usually took several weeks to heal with a good diet containing vitamin C and a regular schedule of PWC`s. Maybe the advisor`s can come up with some other remedies.

Back
Top Bottom