how long for nitrite stage of cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's been over a week now that I've had the nitrites. They're slowly coming down. They are usually around .50 in then morning. I'm down to 25% water change now and that brings it down to .25 until morning again. Then it's back up to .50 Do I have much longer to go? I'm getting a 48 gallon tank and want to use some gravel and decorations from this one to speed along the cycle of the new one. Thanks in advance!

Depends on the temperature .... It took me 8 weeks to go through the nitrite phase at mid 70F. It will be faster at higher temp, but you still need patience!

If you can find some seed material, used filter media, squeezings from a filter sponge ect... you can drastically speed it up to less than a week.
Even if you seeded the tank at the start it is good to reseed at the nitrite phase as most of the bacteria for nitrite would have died off from lack of food.

You're right on the cusp of it. I wouldn't even bother getting material from another tank.

Back
Top Bottom