How long until my platy gives birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there! I would love to get an update on your platy. Did u get any fry? Your platy looks identical to mine, coloring and all LOL. She seems like she's been pregnant forever and looks like she's gonna burst but still nothing. If u have time drop me a quick reply and let me know if u have baby platies. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, yeah my platy dropped about 4 days ago during the night, unfortunately I have not yet found any fry but I have heard of people finding fry weeks later that have been hiding in plants so there is still hope! I know how you feel it seems like forever until they pop, but it's usually about 24-29 days that the pregnancy lasts I believe so hang in there! If you want to keep all the fry then go ahead and use a breeding net, but I don't have room for 20-100 babies so I guess it's kind of good that most of mine were eaten, at least it was natural. Anyway good luck with yours and I would love to see a picture if or hear about when she drops! Hope this helps ?

Its actually been 30 days exactly since I first posted on this forum asking if members thought my platy was preggers so it should hopefully be any day now!
I've had varying levels of success with my breeder nets - some deaths, some survival - generally I think they tend to stress the mom's-to-be out.
I just bought a new 55G tank that is cycling so I should have plenty of room for fry if I get any.
I took some pix for u to look at. I guess yours is mostly orange whereas mine has a white crest. Please excuse the blurry pix - she is moving around a lot!
I'll send any updates when I have them. Please feel free to do the same :)

Pregnant Platy

Attachments

• 1400202394479.jpg
    1400202394479.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 1400202545943.jpg
    1400202545943.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1400202583107.jpg
    1400202583107.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 80
Wow nice platy! She looks great! ? yeah I would say she is very close, watch for the gravid spot starting to stretch down to here bottom and for her belly to square off, that's how mine looked the evening before she dropped, however all fish are different so yours may show different signs! That's great that you can keep the fry, as I said if I had room I would, it will be awesome to raise them up from babies. Hope the pregnancy goes well, I look forward to the fry! ?

*Update for those interested*

Was cleaning out my tank today when I got such a shock this little guy appeared from a moss ball!: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404236791.108918.jpg
One of them managed to survive after all, amazing!

What's mor another of my Platies is now pregnant and is ready to pop, I will update when possible.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom