How many and what to stock next

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys here's some pics of my African cichlids that I took. I have 4 small ones right now. I tried attaching the 4th one but it wouldn't let me. It's an orange one and it looks like the electric yellow, except orange

Anyway I'm wondering if there are any good options to stock with these cichlids for keeping the tank clean

I have a 48" long 40 gallon tank with only these 4 cichlids. would a Pleco be good? Is there any better option? Or is keeping only cichlids the way to go? Whats the max amount I could stock of these kind without having to transfer any in the future? I know it's 1 inch of fish per gallon. So does that mean I can only put in 6-10? Would 10 be the most? Considering they average around 4-6 in"? Can I safely bend the rule a bit?

Thx guys

Attachments

• image-82614008.jpg
    image-82614008.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2869584024.jpg
    image-2869584024.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image-168688727.jpg
    image-168688727.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 38
To be honest, I don't think those top two fish are going to be a good idea for that tank. The one on the top left is a kenyi, the one on the right is a bumblebee. Both are quite aggressive, especially compared to the yellow lab on the bottom. most likely, you've got a red zebra if it looks a lot like the lab, only orange. I'd stick with those two and do 5 each. One male, 4 females. And, while overstocking is considered to be a good way to counter aggression, any more than 10, IMO, would be too much.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will consider returning the blue one and the bumble bee and will maybe get all yellow and orange ones... All 4 seem to be ok right now with aggression and there's plenty of hiding places. I'm disappointed that I can't have a variety of colors... So theres no way to keep what I have now and maybe overstock to eliminate aggression?

Thx. Btw. 1 male and 4 females is the best for breeding? Thx :)

These are my 2 tanks by the way. The long one is the cichlid tank... Does anyone have an ideas for the most colorful an compatible cichlid combinations? Thx

Attachments

• image-2523048315.jpg
    image-2523048315.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-658807152.jpg
    image-658807152.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 51
In a larger tank, sure. In that small of a tank, you'll have nothing but problems with them IMO. And, they're small right now. They won't start being aggressive until they hit sexual maturity. Then... tank war. There are several other very colorful fish you could do, I just would stick with 2 species, and stay away from the more aggressive guys. Check www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles and look at the malawi mbuna. You can get an idea of what you want if orange and yellow doesn't suit your tastes. Then, run ideas by us and see what is compatible with your tank.

Thx for your input. I will consider bringing them back and try to get ones with better compatibility. I don't want the fish to tear eachother up... Isn't it true if you start them out together all small they will grow up and tolerate eachother? Thx... And there is such a large selection on that site I don't know if my local petsmart has that big of a selection? Can you name some popular common combinations that most petsmart or petco will have?

Thx

Mike

I'm not real sure what either would have. But, you may want to find a local breeder, or consider online orders. That's where you can really get the good stuff.

And, not really about growing up together. All my fish grew up together from 1.25-1.5" when I got them to 5-6" when I sold them a couple months back. They would start fighting if they tried to take each others cave or just swam past the wrong fish sometimes.

Any recommendations for online breeders? What's their return policies and is their shipping very expensive? Is it cheaper online or In stores? Is there more risks with online as far as fish dying? Thx!

They come to you just like they do to the LFS. Most places offer a live arrival guarantee. Depends really on what part of the country you're in. If you're on the west coast, live aquaria is a good place. Their shipping is really high though if you're on the east coast. You should look for clubs in your area. Often, you can get really good deals from them. There's a place that I've heard a lot of good reviews on right down the road from me, they're bluegrass aquatics (www.bluegrassaquatics.com). Also, aquabid is a good place, but like ebay, you should pay attention to the sellers feedback.

Thanks for the website... But I live on the east coast... Id like to spend about 100 on fish... My 40 gallon is cycled and I'd like to get a colorful variety... Do you have any ideas as to the best online provider for the east coast? One with low shipping? I like the ideas of buying them in groups of assorted color for compatibility. Thx very much... Do u think it would be ok to buy 10 all at once and put them in my 40? Their shipping estimate was 60 dollars... Kind of high. Thx

Mike

Hmmm... not familiar with any others. What city do you live in, or a big city close to you? If you live close to a bigger city, i'll about bet they have some kind of aquarium club that has a website or a local auction. You probably have some breeders in your area too. I live in a smallish city and there are several breeders around here.

my zip code is 01331, i live in athol MA... i live about 75 miles from boston... don't live near too many big cities... thanks for your help :)

I have some CA and SA cichlids available, Cryptoheros cutteri and Australoheros oblongum, that would work great in your 40. I have several pairs of cutteri w/fry now, and well over 100 oblongum juvies that are ready to pair off as well. Both max out around 5" for males, 3-4" for females, and only claim a small territory when spawning. I can hook you upwith a pair of cutteri and 6 oblongums (swap off the extras after you have an established breeding pair) for $40 _ shipping.
Cutteri in general:
img_1324237_0_a010b77e1145899c67e71626325a3da3.jpg

Breeding dress:
img_1324237_1_c21d3957a0c35f85c34d2ae9799485b6.jpg

Oblongum male:
img_1324237_2_d6bc14e6a11e111bdad7f8e0ec6df4d6.jpg

Female:
img_1324237_3_e48072028d2d66bde68957b35208c628.jpg

Pair together:
img_1324237_4_a118da1d3bdfdce8840c5d8e3bc41caa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom