How many fancies can be kept?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 fantails 1 black moor 1 ryukin and 1 oranda all about 4-5 inches except 1 3 incher when they get full grown is it overstocked? I have 2 75 gallon bio-wheel filters on each side of the tank

image-1202430218.jpg

Koi and Pleco are there temporarily for about three more moths till winters over then there going into a 1000g pond. Oranda and fantail are not in the tank at that time

image-1925190823.jpg

There's the two that are not in the tank then

Dear Koikeeper99,

I am a bit confused by your post--not sure of the size of your aquarium 75 gallons or 275 gallons; nor the gallons/per hour of your two bio-wheel filters. I'm saying this up front because the size and filtration are important for goldie health.

The general minimum rule for fancies is 20 gallons for the first fancy and 10 gallon for each additional one. Which means you currently need a minimum of 60 gallons. So if your tank is 75 gallons, one could add one more fancy in the future--but not with a pleco and koi. With the pleco and koi now--for the next three months--you are over stocked. Koi need 25+ gallons per. Plus plecos have been known to damage fancies. Fancies are slower and apparently have tasty slime coats!

If you have a 275 tank you have enough room for the fancies plus koi--but please remove pleco for their safety.

Goldies, common and fancy, need ten X number of gallons per hour filtration. They have a simple digestive system and many people consider them messy. If you have a 75 gallon tank you would need filtration equal to 750 gallons per hour. If your tank is 275 you would need 2,750 gallons per hour which might be best done either with a sump system or using a pond system.

Hope this helps,
Chris

It's 55 I have two of the biowheel filters on it each biowheel does 75 gallons so im good on filtration haha sorry about that but I have a wall in there so the Pleco can't get to them even when tree wasn't one she was fine I found another deal on a cheap 55 gallon so I'll get that maybe and put the fancies in there by themselves

When the Lois aren't there you could add 2 more but be pverstocked. Just do more waterchanges and you should be fine

Dear Koikeeper99,

It looks as if additional 55 gallon for just the 5 fancies might be the way to go. 60 gallons would be best, but with 50% or more water changes and constant vigilance and 55 gallons is workable plus 600-500 gallons per hour filtration. They be happier.

I saw another post by you about the black moor being less pushy about food. Are you using sinking pellets or flakes? With sinking pellets and the goldies love of rooting about, the black moor will get more food than from the race for flakes. Sometimes people feed reluctant feeders inside a strainer which gives the fish space & food separated from the others. I've never tried it myself. All my goldies, including the black moor are piggies.

Right now the 55 gallon is overstocked with 3 koi and pleco on one side and 3 fancies on the other. The koi just by themselves need 60 gallons.
Chris

I feed them sinking shrimp pellets and yeah I'm moving koi and Pleco theyl be gone soon

Back
Top Bottom