How many fancy goldfish in a 38 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many fancy goldfish can I keep in a 38 gallon tank? According to AqAdvisor, I can keep two and be at 99% stocking level but if I add a brittlenose pleco, I'll be at 110%. Similarly, if I just had 3 fancy goldfish I'd be at 138%.

Is this to do with swimming room or filtration? I'm perfectly ok with getting a bigger filter if it means I can add another fish, I just want to make sure they have enough room. Would 3 be ok with a good filter?

Also, I've read anything from fancy goldfish should be kept in at least pairs to they should be kept in at least schools of 6, can someone shed some light on this? Thanks :)

Hello, I have a few questions to better understand your situation. Do you have a tank set up now? If so what do you currently have in there?

The fish calculator just looks at how many gallons of water per a fish. The fish you mention all grow to large sizes. You could easily put 6 gold fish and a pleco in your tank however when they grow the tank will become overcrowded.

Some people will choose to start with a small tank and upgrade as the fish grow. It works for some people but it really just waists money. Best to go with the larger tank to start with.

The fancy goldfish will grow to around 8 inches within 2 to 3 years. Keeping them in a ten gallon tank will eventually stunt growth and cause health problems.

If you own the 38 gallon tank I would suggest choosing a different breed if fish. If your planing a setup and want fancy goldfish I would get a bigger tank.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

You could put 1 adult fancy in the tank, which is the best way to plan. The filtration calculator doesn't really take water volume into account, and that's the limiting factor here. A 38 is small in the world of goldfish because they produce LOTS of waste, so your water changes would be large and frequent.

As said before you could put more juvenile fish in the tank, but they grow up fast and will need a bigger tank before you know it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey peeps, thanks for the replies.

I have not yet purchased the 38g but I'm reluctant to go any higher due to the prices of stands & aquariums passed that point. As I said, I'm fine with dealing with the filtration (getting another filter, more frequent water changes, I don't mind), I just want to make sure they have enough room.

If I just had the two fancy goldfish and nothing else, would the 38g be big enough for them in adulthood?

Last edited:
I see a brittle nose was mentioned for the goldfish tank. Is it good for a cool water ?
Will it take good care of the algae ?
Are there any other plecos you'd recommend ?

According to my research the brittlenose can live in the same temperatures and it also doesn't get as big as some other pleco's, which is a plus.

ALSO: if the 38g is big enough for 2 fancys, would a pleco make any difference in terms of swimming space (I know it would make a difference to filtration)? Since the plecos mainly stick to the bottom, would this restrict the fancys space in any significant way?

I think the problem is not the actual space they have for swimming, but more of a water pressure issue, where it would stunt their growth.

I see a brittle nose was mentioned for the goldfish tank. Is it good for a cool water ?
Will it take good care of the algae ?
Are there any other plecos you'd recommend ?

Plecos stop eating algae in adulthood and generally stick to algae wafers. They're tropical, but I'm not sure how cold they can go.

Also, a bn pleco will not affect the goldies' swimming space, and they require driftwood.

I always thought it was 20 gal for the first goldfish and then 10 for each additional. Imo you could keep 2 fancy goldfish and a bn pleco just fine. But if you're concerned about price check Craigslist. I just picked up a 55 gal tank with a stand and hood for 35 bucks. It needs some work but I spent less than I would at a dollar per gallon sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I can get a 38g tank, filter, and stand for $220, plus another filter puts me at somewhere between $250 and $275. If I buy a 55gal, the tank, stand, filter, etc. will cost me closer to $400-450.

So I just want to know if it's acceptable to keep two fancys in a 38g tank? And if its also acceptable to put a pleco in there as well? (Not considering filtration - just tank size).

Yes, you could put 2 goldfish and a bn pleco in a 38 gallon. Imo.

Well I can get a 38g tank, filter, and stand for $220, plus another filter puts me at somewhere between $250 and $275. If I buy a 55gal, the tank, stand, filter, etc. will cost me closer to $400-450.

So I just want to know if it's acceptable to keep two fancys in a 38g tank? And if its also acceptable to put a pleco in there as well? (Not considering filtration - just tank size).

Trust me... most of us buy new our first time and never do it again. You can get a nice 55g full kit for less than 100 bucks. Just bleach any used equipment before setting up your tank.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Trust me... most of us buy new our first time and never do it again. You can get a nice 55g full kit for less than 100 bucks. Just bleach any used equipment before setting up your tank.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Couldn't agree more. You get more for your money that way.

They will outgrow it chemically. I'd shop used tanks with stands to get something cheap and then buy a new filter. The problem with the 38 is lack of water volume, not necessarily space. Check out the sticky on the cold water forum.

Thank you everyone for you help! I just bought a 55 gal in the $1 per gallon sale so they will have plenty of room!

Also, how many could go in the 55? There seems to be a general consensus on the forums that 4-5 fancy goldfish can fit in this tank size but according to AqAdvisor, that would be overstocked?

Also, how many could go in the 55? There seems to be a general consensus on the forums that 4-5 fancy goldfish can fit in this tank size but according to AqAdvisor, that would be overstocked?

Aquaadvisor does most of its calculation off filtration and waste produced per fish.

I want to ask to clarify what fancy goldfish are you looking at?

If your looking at any streamlined varieties ie comet, shubunkin, or common 100 gallon minimum tbh. All of these get too large for a 55 gallon.

For celestial or fantails etc. 4 or 5 of these will work in a 55 gallon.

My caveats are you will need at least 110gph filtration capacity. And also make sure you do not mix any breeds that are slow very slow swimming or particularly delicate(ie bubble eye) with those that are not. Also you should be very diligent with water changes. Goldfish produce a lot of ammonia from their gills. So please buy a test kit to check your water quality at the bare minimum 2 times a week.

In addition I personally would not add a pleco. They will add a lot of waste with little benefit. Also the preferred temps for both are different. A pleco may survive at the lower temps of a goldfish but will not thrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom