How many fish to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've picked out my aquarium (Marineland 56 gallon column) and have more or less planned out everyone that's eventually going to be in it.

I'm probably not going to let it cycle fully before I add fish. Impatient? Yes. Irresponsible? Maybe. But I'll try my best to not let anything get out of hand. I recently started working at Petsmart so I'll always have quick availability to any products I may need. I'll probably add fish 3-7 days after the tank has been up and running.

I'm planning on having a school of 6 serpae tetras, the "long-finned red minor" kind that we sell at Petsmart, and they'll be my first fish. My question is, how many do you think I should add that first week? I know the "rule" is no more than 3 new fish per week, but is that true even with a large tank and with a school? Would 6 spike the ammonia levels way too high?

I'm totally fine adding 3 at first and then 3 more later, just wondering if I could safely speed the process up.

Your Tank

Hello ally...

You can cycle your tank with fish. 56 gallons is a decent size and will allow a little room for error. You'll need a reliable water testing kit, to monitor the ammonia and nitrite that's produced when the fish do their business in the water. It's the fish waste that starts the "nitrogen cycle".

You'll need to test the water daily and if you have a positive test for either of the above toxins, you just remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water and this will return the chemistry into the "safe zone" for your fish. I don't recommend removing more water, because you want to grow the bacteria that uses the ammonia and nitrite for food. When you have several, daily "0" tests for these two forms of nitrogen, your tank is cycled.

When I cycled my 55 G, I used 8 or 10 small feeder Guppies, but you can use Danios, Platys, small Barbs, White Clouds, or other hardy fish. It's also helpful to use a bottled bacteria starter too. Just check the directions on the container. I added some floating plants to help use the nitrogen produced by the fish waste. Anacharis is my preference.

If you monitor the water daily and change it when needed, your tank should cycle in about 6 weeks, give or take a week. These are the basics. Just ask if you have a problem. I don't know a lot, but I can cycle a freshwater tank pretty well.

B

Oh, awesome to know, thanks! I know on some forums, people are really adamant about telling everyone to do a fishless cycle first.

Not sure if it would be against store policy, but as an employee, would you be able to get access to any established media running in the filters? It would do wonders for speeding up your cycle. However, there are risks involved when getting established media from another tank/system; along with the good BB, you take the chance at picking up any of the undesirable stuff (Ich and other parasites). That is a general statement, of course, and not directed specifically against Petco.

That's a great idea, I could definitely ask. I'm not sure about any official policies, but my department superiors are pretty lax and I can't see them having a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom