how many ghost shrimp for a 15 gallon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't have any bottom feeders.
I only have white clouds
They would be a great addition

I put 10 or 12 in my 10gal (with 3 male guppies, 3 pepered corys, and 4 neons) with no issues.

u serious ??

10-15 !!!

are they territorial ? do they fight amongst themselves??

No serious territorialism. The most I see is one may chase another off a nice piece of food. My ten gallon has 22 Ghost shrimp that range from 1/2" to 1 1/2" long. One juvenile Swordtail that is about 1/2" long. There are also many many snails.
When I feed them, the shrimp swim upside down at the surface to grab flakes. I have only seen one of them molt. He was laying on his side. I was in fact getting ready to fish it out. Then...pop... it just popped out of the skin in one instant. The shrimps legs and every thing were soft, it could not stand. Instead it found some java moss to lay on while it streched and hardened its shell.
This tank is somewhat of an experiment at keeping shrimp as something other than a clean up crew and occasional snack in the main tank. I took extra care in acclimating these guys to the water after I first brought them home. I also use filtered tap water (not RO/DI). For every 5 gallons I add 1 tsp of Seachem Equilibrium (this is a GH buffer with a high Calcium content) and 1/4 tsp of Kordon-Vitatrace. Also, since the tank is planted, I also add 1/4 tsp of Flourish weekly. PH-7.4, GH-7deg, KH-6deg
I put 20 shrimp in the tank about 2 weeks ago, and so far they are all doing well. I also rescued 2 from my main tank. They had somehow survived several months in there, including my CO2/PH problems. The two older shrimp I bought as "Florida Ghost shrimp" and they have tiger striped bodies. The 20 new one, the LFS owner said his Florida farm was wiped out from hurricanes, so they were from a different souce. Anyways, they are the spotted types of Shrimp with red stripes on thier claws.

As many as you want really. The only problem, keeping them alive.
I had my best results with feeding them crab bits to keep them alive. I guess it has the iodine they needed or something. Best of luck and let us all know if the large numbers work and gets them to breed and survive well. Might be a breakthrough. Live plants will help also.

Ghost shrimp aren't worth the trouble IMO.....they never live very long and I always ended up vacuuming up a few during water changes.....so annoying. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom