How many more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Another Fish Guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys!!

I've had my tank up and running for about 3 months now and my current stock consists of:

8 Black Neon Tetras
8 Black Skirt Tetras
6 Cherry Barbs
6 Bloodfin Tetras
5 Zebra Danios
3 Corys

This is in a 60 gallon being filtered by 2 Emperor 400 filters.

How many more fish can I add? I plan on getting 3-4 more Corys, but other than that...I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe 6-8 Cardinal Tetras or maybe 6-8 Serpae Tetras.

I'd like to get something very colorful as well.

Thoughts?

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the zebras are a bit nippy toward the others, look at getting a few more. Had 6 in my community and they got pretty bad but haven't had problems since adding a few more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My wife really likes the Black Skirts....so I could throw in a few more of those and then maybe up the Danio count along with the Corys.

What do you think would be the max load I could get? Maybe another 15-20 more fish? I'm fine with adding even more than that...weekly WC don't bother me lol.

Just use that link for AqAdvisor that I posted above and make whatever adjustments you want. Its pretty helpful.
When I filled it out I made the Black Neons have the largest school, but you could decrease them and then see how many Black Skirts you can do instead.

Forget the Serpea Tetras they are not good community fish period. I'd add a few more Danios, corys and Cherry Barbs. On the Cherry Barbs add albinos or long fin albinos. Very cool contrast.

I have black neons and glowlights in my tank. They are really cool, contrast nicely and swim together in a loose school

The Black Neons are awesome with the right kind of light and very active. I really want some more color in the tank which is why I'm leaning towards the Cardinal Tetras.

I appreciate all the comments so far!!

Forget the Serpea Tetras they are not good community fish period. I'd add a few more Danios, corys and Cherry Barbs. On the Cherry Barbs add albinos or long fin albinos. Very cool contrast.

Serpea tetras are too nippy and will harass the other fish, stress them all out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Adding Fish

Hello Just...

You could add just a few. Corydoras and Danios are shoaling fish and will do best if they have several of their own kind with them. You could add 3 or 4 of both with no trouble. Barbs are a bit nippy, so I'd also add some floating plants like Hornwort or Anacharis as hiding places. Just drop a few individual stems of these into the tank. They don't need to be planted. They'll keep the water a bit cleaner between water changes.

Adding fish adds to the waste load. So, you should up your water changes. I keep several 55 to 60 gallon tanks and change half or more of the water every week or two. Don't rely on the filters to keep the water clean, they just take in toxic tank water and return the same water a little bit less toxic.

B

Thanks Bradbury! I change at least 50% of the water each week and then once a month I clean out all the decor as more of a deep cleaning.

Plus I'm running filter floss in all four cartridges which get changed out once a month as well.

Tank Cleaning

Thanks Bradbury! I change at least 50% of the water each week and then once a month I clean out all the decor as more of a deep cleaning.

Plus I'm running filter floss in all four cartridges which get changed out once a month as well.

Hello again Just...

Don't get too enthusiastic about tank cleaning. You can remove beneficial bacteria. The good bacteria lives on all surfaces inside the tank, not just in the filter media. All organic material that collects on the bottom of the tank will dissolve in the water. Some is necessary to nourish the plants. The rest is removed by performing a simple water change. By removing and replacing large amounts of tank water and doing it regularly, you'll guarantee the fish and plants a healthy environment.

B

I don't plan on doing live plants anytime in the near future. I prefer to focus on just the fish. :)

Yeah I would ignore it, he rarely says anything useful unless you're into hornwort and hardware store light bulbs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello everyone!

Here is a quick update as to my current stock and what I plan on adding:

11 Black Skirts - Done
8 Black Neons - adding 3-4 more
8 Neons - adding 5-6 more
5 Cherry Barbs - adding 5 more
5 Bloodfins - adding 5-6 more
2 Corys - adding 4-6 more
1 Common Pleco - swapping out for a Gold Nugget Pleco when it's available
4 Zebra Danios - adding 6-8 more
2 Blue Pearlscale Angels - Done

So...that would be everything once I'm done and I don't plan on adding all of that at once.

Thoughts?

That's good, especially once the common is out.

That's good, especially once the common is out.

Yeah...he's starting to get pretty big. Fortunately my LFS will let me trade him in for store credit. So I may put it towards a Gold Nuggest Pleco...or towards other fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom