How much ammo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bud

Aquarium Advice Freak
How much ammo should I dose for a 55g to get to 4ppm? I have NO2 and NO3 off the charts, and I want to dose it up to feed the bacteria and make sure it's getting consumed. Or is it more of a trial and error thing? I just added 2 caps full. Should I wait a while and then test? We need to go out and get some groceries. I can check when we get back.

Bud said:
How much ammo should I dose for a 55g to get to 4ppm? I have NO2 and NO3 off the charts, and I want to dose it up to feed the bacteria and make sure it's getting consumed. Or is it more of a trial and error thing? I just added 2 caps full. Should I wait a while and then test? We need to go out and get some groceries. I can check when we get back.

Are you using the ace hardware ammonia? 2 caps is a lot. I cycled my 33g and it only took 1/4 of the cap to reach 4ppm. I'd go with a few drops and test after a few minutes. Then if you need to add more, just add a few drops then test again. Take note how much you are adding so that next time you'll know how much to add. It's going to be different with each tank though. Unless, we are talking about bare-bottom tanks and no decoration. The amount of water in the tank will be different depending on what you have in it(plants, substrate, decorations). Unless you know EXACTLY how much water you have in your tank, I'd follow some of the members "drops of ammonia per amount of water". It' going to be fun doing some trial and error right? :) good luck!

Last edited:
Add a little test add some more. You will find the right amount that way. That is how it is usually done. the ammonia is a ten percent solution so if your mathematically inclined you could do the math, with the caveat there is not relly 55 gallons of water in the tank.

LOL. Looks like I have a good PWC to do when I get home. Yes, the ACE stuff. Yes, I put two caps full in.

Bud said:
LOL. Looks like I have a good PWC to do when I get home. Yes, the ACE stuff. Yes, I put two caps full in.

I made the same mistake. The first time I started cycling using ammonia from Ace, I put 3 caps in a 33g. Lol. The test was almost black. :D

Now, a couple of hours later here's what we're looking like. Seems they're a shade darker IRL than the pic. But I think I should let it be. I expected the ammo to be a lot darker. I have also lost my color chart between yesterday and today. That's a bit aggravating.

Anyone care to opine about what I should do? PWC vs wait and test again in another couple of hours?

Attachments

• image-722830122.jpg
    image-722830122.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 75
Bud said:
Now, a couple of hours later here's what we're looking like. Seems they're a shade darker IRL than the pic. But I think I should let it be. I expected the ammo to be a lot darker. I have also lost my color chart between yesterday and today. That's a bit aggravating.

Anyone care to opine about what I should do? PWC vs wait and test again in another couple of hours?

How deep into the cycle are you? How quickly and how much is it dropping the ammonia in a 24 hour period? As long as performed properly (dechlorinated, same temp water), a 50% pwc never hurts and will help you monitor your levels effectively, as well as reducing the chance of a stall or pH crash at the end of your cycle. :)

Reactions: Bud
Never used the ammo before. I did a fish in cycle with the first tank, instant cycled the second and this one I used some awesomely filthy filter media and gravel in pantyhose. I thought it would instant cycle too, but NO2 was taking too long to get eaten...so now I'm dosing the ammo. I still feel like it should happen pretty quickly. I'm gonna do a 50% change or so and monitor it. Feel free to give more tips. I am sooooo anxious to see those barbs swimming through the new plants!

Bud said:
Never used the ammo before. I did a fish in cycle with the first tank, instant cycled the second and this one I used some awesomely filthy filter media and gravel in pantyhose. I thought it would instant cycle too, but NO2 was taking too long to get eaten...so now I'm dosing the ammo. I still feel like it should happen pretty quickly. I'm gonna do a 50% change or so and monitor it. Feel free to give more tips. I am sooooo anxious to see those barbs swimming through the new plants!

But just to be clear...there are no fish in there, right? Sorry if that's a stupid question...but you'd be surprised, lol.

Bud said:
Assuming that was from the seeding materials.

I think I'm just confused. If there's no ammonia, there shouldn't be no2 because the bacteria converts an ammo source into no2.

If you've got it under control...cool. If you'd like a second opinion I'm happy to help. I don't want to intrude and barrage you with questions, lol. I think I just don't understand how long the tank has been set up, whether you've been adding frozen shrimp or any other ammo source, if the water itself is from another tank, etc.

Feel free to fill me in if you want, otherwise keep us posted on how it's going :)

I set it up one week ago. I added filter media and gravel and some water from another tank. I put some flake food in there for an ammo source until I could get out and get the ACE brand ammo. Now, I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm happy to have your questions and assistance. I'm a n00b at this and I appreciate your willingness to help everyone with this cycling business. I have added to your rep because of this.

Bud said:
I set it up one week ago. I added filter media and gravel and some water from another tank. I put some flake food in there for an ammo source until I could get out and get the ACE brand ammo. Now, I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm happy to have your questions and assistance. I'm a n00b at this and I appreciate your willingness to help everyone with this cycling business. I have added to your rep because of this.

Okay :). The adding fish food part is what I missed. Now it all makes sense. It seems like things are right on track. You must have some great seeding material. Picking up the pure ammo was a good decision. Now you've just got to keep dosing it up to 4ppm every 24 hours, and when it can convert the ammo all the way to nitrAtes so you see 0 ammo and 0 nitrItes within 24 hours of adding it...you're cycled. Then just do your big pwc to get your nitrAtes below 20 before adding fish.

Thanks for the rep, I don't get too caught up in how many points I have like some others, but it's nice to know my advice is appreciated and hopefully is saving a few fish :)

You were a big help with my first tank and we got it done without any fish dying. I'm trying to do it right this time. You mentioned the media must be good. You should see how nasty it is. It's beautiful, lol. It's been in two tanks prior to this one and then a few handfuls of gravel in the other filter. Seems to be working well. I'll keep dosing it up and see how she goes. I'll keep playing with the plants to keep myself occupied.

Bud said:
You were a big help with my first tank and we got it done without any fish dying. I'm trying to do it right this time. You mentioned the media must be good. You should see how nasty it is. It's beautiful, lol. It's been in two tanks prior to this one and then a few handfuls of gravel in the other filter. Seems to be working well. I'll keep dosing it up and see how she goes. I'll keep playing with the plants to keep myself occupied.

Sounds great :). Keep us posted.

So, I did a 50% PWC the other day so that I could read NO2 and NO3 and kept dosing the ammo up to 4ppm. I dosed it back up last night before bed and checked it for fun today when I got home from work and it has converted >4ppm of ammo to <1 ppm. NO2 is more purple than I have ever seen it and NO3 is super dark red, guessing >80ppm. Thinking about doing another PWC if I can when I get back from the gym. We're getting close...

Back
Top Bottom