How much current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there such a thing as too much current? I have put a MaxiJet 1200 powerhead in my 55 gallon display and it just seems to be too much power (if that is possible). My fish seem to be fighting upstream all the time and the xenia is pushed horizontal and it is placed on the far side of the tank!

I took the thing out and now the fish move more freely. They are also using the whole tank instead of staying away from the side where the powerhead was.

That's a good sign, right?

you still have a current though? your powerheads GPH (gallons per hour) should be 8-17 times the tanks capacity.

it did sound like your flow was kinda strong if the fish were being mauled around

Yes it did sound like you had too much current in there. Just save that PH for when you go to your 125. (I hope)

packagerat said:
Would it help if some of the flow was directed toward the surface.

This is always good advice as surface aggitation provides superior aeration.

Never can have too much power I always say. Get another and point them at each other. :)

Actually I have a couple 1140's I point down the back side of my 75g tank at each other. Helps keep behind the rocks cleared out as well promotes coraline growth on the back wall.

I still have some current (that may be sufficient) because my return pump is over-sized and it is diverted with a "T". This makes the source water move in two directions along the back wall of the tank....

I have a huge return pump because I am preparing to run three tanks off the same sump. I have been waiting for parts to get the second tank going. That is why I have so much water running thru the display tank... Once the other tanks are running, I suppose I will need to supplement the current in each tank, right? Because the current created by the source of water entering the tank will be less.

..... 8 to 17 times... that's good infprmation!
Thanks!!

Just make sure your SUMP can handle all the overflow if you say "Lose power" for a period of time. I'm going to assume you have overflows on the three tanks if you are doing this.

The pump is on a battery back-up power supply but just in case - Nick showed me how to set it up so that each tank is designed to break the siphon if there is an extended outage. I (personally) would like to see a bigger vessel for the sump. But I might have to addd a room onto the house for that. (Ha ha ha) There is a picture in my gallery... Check it out. I did it all myself!
:)

Back
Top Bottom