How much cuttlebone for my snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dora'sfishtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning,
I'm not sure how much cuttlebone (for calcium) to use in my 10gal tank for my lone snail. I grated a little (half a tsp?) directly into the filter. She seems healthy with good shell growth. How often should I do this?

i dont think you can put to much in. i just broke of the the 1 end and put it in a cave in my 10gal. but wait for darby to coment she most likly will, shes great with snails

And here I am! LOL.

In a ten gallon, you can probably just use 1/4 tsp per month. You can also stick half of the cuttle bone under the substrate or inside the actual filter.

Great! Thank you! I'm seriously thinking of getting another one. Mine's so cool. I don't think they add that much to the bioload.

Is it a mystery/apple snail? If it is, they need at least 2.5 gallons just for themselves. :D Mine is about the size of a golfball now.

Yep, she's a golden mystery. She's about the size of a quarter. Darn. I don't want to overcrowd the tank. Maybe time to get another tank!

Back
Top Bottom