How much do you get $$ for selling fancy guppys to the LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How much do you get $$ for selling fancy guppys to the LFS?

Jsut wondering if any of you have ever sold your fish and what kind of moeny or store credit you would get per fish.

I am looking ot do this with Fancy Guppys but I would liek to hear what people have gotten for other fish as well.

When I had about 20 guppies last year only one store (out of about 5) would give me anything and that was store credit at a buck per fish. If I would have tried some of the smaller stores I might have had better luck selling them.

I can't imagine them giving you much for fancy guppies. I think a buck a fish is a very good price to get, I'd be surprised if you got over 50 cents a piece.

Because guppies are so easy to breed, I would imagine that if you got a buck for each guppy you are doing extremely well. Our lfs will give you store credit usually between .25 to .50 cents each.

I was thinking if I could get .25 to .50 a fish that would work for me. They sell the dam things for 2.50-3.00 at the Petco by me. I jsut know that they do breed a lot and it would be a nice way to offset some of the money that I spend for other products. I will have to ask some of the local places if they would be willign to buy them from me when the tiem comes. I am a long way from that right now.

speaking of selling fish, anyone breed a fish that LFS's buy off you for a good price? I imagine those would be the fish you can't breed easily in a tank.

certain cichlid species
german blue rams
kribensis
corys
various pleco species

these are what my LFS would buy off me at a decent price.

I am plannin on selling my rams the store said they will give me about 3 bucks each if they are 1/2 inch or over seeing as how one hatch can net over 20....its not a bad deal. GBRs sell for aobut 9 bucks around here.

Just use the google image search and you will find many. I just did. Those are really interesting looking fish. I might start to look into breeding them too.

Fancy guppies: $0.35
Swords: $0.85
Corys: $1.35
BN pleco $2.25

Needless to say they sell for much more. 2.35, 2.89, 3.85, 10+ respectively.

I think you would make better money listing them on a buletin board.

My Big al's "buy back" pleco's and clown loaches when they outgrow your tank.
They've yet to recieve a clown loach to "buy back" which made steve kind of worried, as its a harder fish to get to live long for their lack of scales.

I bought my loach for 6.99, and i could sell it back for 6.99, as it has grown one size "bracket" To buy a loach the size mine is now, its 11.99 or 12.99 (can't remember) So when its Bigger than the 11.99 bunch, they'll give me 11.99. This isn't set in stone, it depends on who you talk to.

malkore,

How common is it for cory's to breed? I'd be interested in this since our LFS seems to only ever have a couple, and I could use a couple more in my tank. I assume the different (more rare) breeds will also be worth more (specifically the tiger striped one that is selling for ~10 a piece at my place).

Hey Sudz

sudz said:
My Big al's "buy back" pleco's and clown loaches when they outgrow your tank.
They've yet to recieve a clown loach to "buy back" which made steve kind of worried, as its a harder fish to get to live long for their lack of scales.

I bought my loach for 6.99, and i could sell it back for 6.99, as it has grown one size "bracket" To buy a loach the size mine is now, its 11.99 or 12.99 (can't remember) So when its Bigger than the 11.99 bunch, they'll give me 11.99. This isn't set in stone, it depends on who you talk to.

Where in Ontario are you? I'm in London.

sudz said:
Brampton. My Girlfriend is in london though.

that's cool, is she into fish as well? Have you ever been to the Big Al's in London, if so how does it compare?

I haven't been yet Studmaster, Where is it located there?

The big al's in brampton is a bit... ratty. The moisture has definately gotten to the cieling. THe fish section is well kept (the tanks) but not the "human" enviroment, i cant even remember the last time i saw a dead fish. (as opposed to PJ's Pet centers, were i see a few dead fish in a single tank quite often)

The one in mississauga, on dundas is better, but theres only 20 or so parking spots, and its ALWAYS packed. Like... ALWAYS. It took me almost an hour to buy 2 tiger barbs for a friend. It was rediculous.

I sell my Apisto cockatoo double red ,full red, orange flash , Apisto panduro fry to a mom and pop shop here in Amarillo for $20 bucks a pair. Then I sell kribs for $10 each. Now the German blue rams. I sell them for $7 buck each.
here's apicture of my male GBR
f0b30eec.jpg

There's alot of differnt in shop to shop on what they pay for each type of fish and if they give store crdit or cash. I've found iteasyer to sell to the mom and pop stores. They always give cash for stock.

for my brichardi's i get 5-6$ each. but their takin really long to grow. at my fish store, they pay u 50% of the listed price or 100% in store credit. i dunno if it applies to everything, but yeah..

Weasag F,

You sound like you are making some money back with your fish. How long does it take to grow out the GBR's to a size that they give you $7?

Back
Top Bottom