how much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

special lighting

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon aquarium. I have a fluval 305 canister filter and a marineland 350. With alot of live rock. Can i get rid of the marineland? Thank you any help is welcome:)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121006_104512.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121006_104512.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 85
Yeah, you don't need the marineland. The rock and the bacteria that live on it will be filtration enough, but more is always helpful. Just make sure you clean the canister out weekly with your water changes. Garbage can build up quickly in canister filters and cause nitrate issues.

You don't need the Marineland at all. A skimmer would be a sensible replacement or addition, at some point.

Sniperhank said:
Yeah, you don't need the marineland. The rock and the bacteria that live on it will be filtration enough, but more is always helpful. Just make sure you clean the canister out weekly with your water changes. Garbage can build up quickly in canister filters and cause nitrate issues.

Ima get rid of marineland then :). So i have to replace filtermedia weekly?

Check out reef octopus skimmers. They are amazing. My first skimmer I didn't research hard enough and ended up with a POS, which cost more than my octopus. Don't buy a coralife or seaclone, plain and simple.

Sniperhank said:
Check out reef octopus skimmers. They are amazing. My first skimmer I didn't research hard enough and ended up with a POS, which cost more than my octopus. Don't buy a coralife or seaclone, plain and simple.

I was planning on getting an aqua c mora hob skimmer. Is that one good?

special lighting said:
Oh okay thanks, do you think my fluval alone is enough water circulation?

Just look in you tank for dead spots! I always check out the water flow when I add my purple up cause it clouds the water and is easy to see where the dead spots are. J would say you will have a few spots so add a korilla or two if so!

special lighting said:
Oh okay thanks, do you think my fluval alone is enough water circulation?

I use a Fluval 406 on my 55g. And my water's great. I also have an Aqua C Remora skimmer and love it. Works great and quiet. Just rinse the Fluval media weekly in old tank water with your PWC. Never replace it all at once, you'll lose all your BB. Rotate changing out the foam pieces and water polishing pads. I usually change 1 piece every week or two.

Beengirl said:
I use a Fluval 406 on my 55g. And my water's great. I also have an Aqua C Remora skimmer and love it. Works great and quiet. Just rinse the Fluval media weekly in old tank water with your PWC. Never replace it all at once, you'll lose all your BB. Rotate changing out the foam pieces and water polishing pads. I usually change 1 piece every week or two.

Ohh okay, is my 305 too small? Lol do i change carbon every week?

Pizza101 said:
Just look in you tank for dead spots! I always check out the water flow when I add my purple up cause it clouds the water and is easy to see where the dead spots are. J would say you will have a few spots so add a korilla or two if so!

Sure will do :)

No, if you use the Fluval carbon, change every month, but rinse it every week. I changed all my carbon out for Chemipure, which I rinse every week and it gets changed every 2-3 months. I also got rid of 1 compartment of carbon, so I have 3 compartments of chemipure and 3 of biomax, then the usual sponges and water polishing pads. Not sure how the 305 is set up, though. Between the Fluval and LR, you should be ok for the filtration.

Beengirl said:
No, if you use the Fluval carbon, change every month, but rinse it every week. I changed all my carbon out for Chemipure, which I rinse every week and it gets changed every 2-3 months. I also got rid of 1 compartment of carbon, so I have 3 compartments of chemipure and 3 of biomax, then the usual sponges and water polishing pads. Not sure how the 305 is set up, though. Between the Fluval and LR, you should be ok for the filtration.

Fluval is 3 carbon baskets, 3 bio ring baskets, and 4 sponges to catch debris.

The 406 came as 4 carbon, 2 biomax, 4 large foam, 2 water polishing pads and 2 waffle-type sponges. I just altered mine a little. But you can do whatever you think is best for your tank.

Beengirl said:
The 406 came as 4 carbon, 2 biomax, 4 large foam, 2 water polishing pads and 2 waffle-type sponges. I just altered mine a little. But you can do whatever you think is best for your tank.

Yea thad sounds badass!! Mt fluval is spitting out some tinny particles/bubbles :0 what should i do?

It could be its not fully primed. Does yours have the small plastic priming knob at top? I have to pump mine quickly 3-4 times when I clean it, then I can hear the water rushing in and air bubbles come out the output line, but only for about 1 minute till its full of water. If you don't have the priming knob, you'll have to read your directions for priming it.

Beengirl said:
It could be its not fully primed. Does yours have the small plastic priming knob at top? I have to pump mine quickly 3-4 times when I clean it, then I can hear the water rushing in and air bubbles come out the output line, but only for about 1 minute till its full of water. If you don't have the priming knob, you'll have to read your directions for priming it.

Ohh thanks fixed it :). How do u make my eater crystal clear? There's alot of particles in it

Back
Top Bottom