How much flow in a 40Br?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting equipment together for my 40Br build. I have a lot of LPS/softies in the tank, so I don't want them to blow away. I was thinking of using a Sicce 3.0 as the return (about 550gph at the head height I have).

I am going to use my HOB Eshopps PSK-75H skimmer (mod'd slightly to lengthen the input/ouput lines) in the sump. It's pump is rate at approx 350gph. Should the return pump be sized a little closer, say the Sicce 2.0, which gets around 350gph@4ft head?

Also, in the DT, I don't want dead zones, but I don't want my LPS getting blown away. Taking into account the return pump flow, would 2 Koralia 600's be too much? Basically, I'd have them on opposite sides of the tank, pointing almost at each other to create some chaotic flow. Or should I downsize to 2 of the Koralia 425s?

There are a lot of variables at play here. Is there a "better" more generic flow rate number (ie X times the DT volume through the sump and Y times the DT volume using powerheads, or a total flow of Z)?

Again, use the 2 600's, as the 425's will yield very low flow once obstructions like live rock, overflow boxes, etc are factored. They're considered a nano pump, and are weak at best. For a while I was running 2 800's and it was just a bit too much and wanted to run the 600's. Now I run 2 MP10's at 60% short pulse with another roughly 350 gph return from pump... Softy and LPS tank as well.

Also, keep an eye on HOB performance if you are lengthening the intake pipes. A lot of HOB skimmers rely on a certain amount of water height as to not put too much effort in the pump sucking the water up... For example, my reef octo HOB wouldn't even suck water up if the level wasn't high enough, and the entire opening of the pipe still have a couple inches of water covering it. Just something to look out for.

Also, watch the tank after it's set up with the powerheads. Everyone is so set on "X" GPH... It's not the number that matters as it's the movement of the water to keep detritus suspended in the column to be filtered, an even temperature throughout, and to help flush corals and keep then clean and happy...

I highly recommend looking into a couple of the controllable power heads, the jaebos aren't much more than the korillias ( either the wp or rw series, the wps are cheaper but the rws are more controllable) and will allow you to the ability to vary the levels/patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

WRT mod'ing the HOB skimmer, yes, that's a concern of mine. I need to see if the pump (Sicce SE-200) is submersible, and could function as an in-sump until I get a Reef Octopus.

I will definitely look into the jaebo's...I've heard lots of good things about them.

Just to close the loop on the skimmer...the skimmer pump is submersible, so I will be using it in-sump instead of HOB.

BigReds - where do you recommend purchasing the jebao pumps from?

I usually go Amazon (because we have prime), and I think they're going for 40-45 for the wp10s and 55-60 for rw4 s. I really wish I would of gone with the rw4 when I got my wp10, they're more controllable and can be linked together (like vortechs) without having to buy any additional equipment which is nice.

How long have you had them? Have you found them to be reliable? I like that feature set, and that pricepoint :)

I've had it like 3-4 months and I do like it, but I wish it was 10-100% like the rw series, the wps only have the option of 50 75 or 100% and less modes. When I got my wp10 they were $35 and the rws were still up around $90 but if I were buying them now, no question I'd spend the extra $15 and go with the rw4s. And for your set up I think 2 of the rw 4s would be perfect, the fact that they'll work together out of the box is a nice perk.

Back
Top Bottom