Comets- how much water flow is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdKoi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’ve got some comets in a 29gal, with an aqua clear 70 for filtration. It’s just my quarantine/bulking up tank before they head out to the pond

Anyways, the ac70 definitely keeps the tank circulating. Maybe too much?

During the day the comets usually take turns playing around in the strong flow under the filter. But they always seem to generally hang out or sleep at the opposite end of the tank for the most part

One option I have used is to take a chunk of bulk filter pad or the outside of a filter pad cartridge...

and I cut the first part to the width of the filter so it can slide down into it and not easily slip out when the media basket is in it.

the next part or the filter pad will overflow into the tank and kinda float on top of the water helping disperse the water more gently. I will cut that end /part in a shape like the top of a mushroom.

Caution if you would happen to have shrimp, or snails can crawl up in in towards the filter.

The AC 70 has an adjustable flow so you can change the amount of water rushing out somewhat.

But to answer the other part of the question, it might be more flow than they are used to, help them get strong. But they need some rest too. And it seems they found a spot for resting. You could also add some big plants or DW to reduce the flow around an area they like to sleep / rest in.

I do have some red ludwigias in the middle of the tank which help control flow to the other end. Even with the flow reduced on the pump doesn’t seem to change a whole lot.

They seem to be content hanging out at the one side when they want to rest so it must be ok I’d think :confused:

I have a AC110 and a AC70 on my Waterbox 30G and the community gets along okay, lol!

The Comet's body shaped is good for swimming, and able to move fast if needed and if it was big, round, fat bodied fancy GF, I would say no, but I think they are able to handle it.

Remembering though that the new fish from fish farms maybe raised in tanks and have less open free swimming room and do not get the amount of exercise you might have for them. Or just going from the breeding facility, being bagged and limited in movement during capture and shipping between 1-3 different locations before you get them can create less strength.

Yes Although they’re still cramped up here, it’s a lot better than the fish farm or in a plastic bag I’m sure lol

Back
Top Bottom