How Much TDS Should I be Getting out of my RO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saratj1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just installed a new RO filter. Here is the link.

5 STAGE 50 GPD HOME REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEM WATER FILTER | eBay

I am curious about how much TDS I should be getting out of it. I was thinking that I should be getting 0 TDS and when it gets up to 10-20 TDS I should change the filters.

My source (City water) water reads about 150-165. I am getting out 10-14 TDS.

I bought a Dual inline TDS meter and installed it also.

I flushed the system for 2 hours and then waited 45minutes and flushed it for 10 minutes (emptied the tank). While flushing the TDS dropped from 50 TDS to now its bottomed out around 10 TDS.

Is this to be expected for this setup? Am I doing it wrong? lol
Do I need to do/buy something else?

Thanks for anyones input, thoughts, experience.

I dont know your system, but you should have 0 tds. Mine got up to 24 and I replaced the DI canister and it went back to 0. My tap water was 320.

You don't according to the link... and you should probably add one if your intent is to make reef tank water. 24 is probably about right for an RO system with no DI resin.

I think you could add a DI canister for not a lot of cost. Bulk reef supply sells everything you would need to add another stage. It would probably be like $30-40.

Agree on the DI Canister. My water is crappy coming into my RO unit (around 300 TDS) and after a few months I am putting out about 24 TDS. As soon as I change my DI filter it goes back down to 0 TDS.. So yes a DI canister will help you very much. I am going to get a better one in the April bulk reef supply group buy.

Never used it or seen anyone use it, so I can't say for sure if it is a decent DI unit, but yes, it should work...

Yeah, it is the same unit I have. Works fairly well only thing I noticed is now it drips slowly from the seal after I opened it to replace the DI resin in it. I am going to upgrade mine to a canister type since the canister one is a little larger. Make sure you also bought the clips to hold it on top of your unit.

markiezzi said:
Yeah, it is the same unit I have. Works fairly well only thing I noticed is now it drips slowly from the seal after I opened it to replace the DI resin in it. I am going to upgrade mine to a canister type since the canister one is a little larger. Make sure you also bought the clips to hold it on top of your unit.

Maybe try some Teflon tape, I've had a couple things leak, not my filter but some used skimmers and filters, and had good luck with Teflon tape sealing up leaking connections

I've got 0 TDS now, water tastes like crap, but I guess I can't have both. Thanks. Also my water is like 6.7ph where it used to be like 7.8 out of the tap. Is that normal? I suppose I will have to raise the ph before adding it to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom