How much water flow for mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 long aquarium that I will be converting into brackish. I put some mollies in there today and since I had heard that mollies like water current I put in the PetCo powerhead I had picked up on the clearance table a little while back. I think the box said that it pumped 200gph. I really couldn't tell if the fish were enjoying it. They seemed to hide in some nooks and crannies and at one point I saw one of them kinda get pushed around in the current a bit. I went ahead and turned off the powerhead and so far they haven't really changed their behavior. So at this point I guess I'm wondering, is the current too strong for them?

Drayven said:
I have a 40 long aquarium that I will be converting into brackish. I put some mollies in there today and since I had heard that mollies like water current I put in the PetCo powerhead I had picked up on the clearance table a little while back. I think the box said that it pumped 200gph. I really couldn't tell if the fish were enjoying it. They seemed to hide in some nooks and crannies and at one point I saw one of them kinda get pushed around in the current a bit. I went ahead and turned off the powerhead and so far they haven't really changed their behavior. So at this point I guess I'm wondering, is the current too strong for them?

Well, fish can't talk, so there is no way to tell if they like it or not. But I think it may be too powerful. Is there a flow adjustment knob? If there is, turn it down. You could also put it on a timer, so the "current" only goes once a day, and not for very long. Then they could get exercise...

Back
Top Bottom