How much weight can my 10g tank hold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biomanz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got one from Aqueon with 3mm thick glass that are sealed at the corners, with a plastic frame on the top and bottom perimeter. Since the bottom glass is nestled on the frame, it's a bit elevated from the stand the tank sits on, so I'm concerned that center part is gonna bend down and crack with too much weight. Right now I got about 2 in. of sand and 2 big rocks. I'm going to remove some sand to add more smaller rocks, but don't know how much it'll handle. I'm estimating the rocks will weigh around 10 lbs with possibly more rocks being added. I'll be putting most of that weight on the sides/corners, so not much on the center.

So far I'm thinking of getting some foam pads to shove underneath to help counter the weight a bit.

Tanks are designed the way they are for a reason. If they didn't work, they wouldn't build them like that. If you are using sand substrate and fair sized rocks, I'd suggest putting egg crate beneath the sand to reduce pressure points on the bottom glass.

That's what I'm hoping for - that they design it to hold the rated gallons plus some extra for rocks and such, but I read elsewhere somewhat opposite. Now I'm a bit confused, and don't know if it's safe to add, say 30 lbs of rock.

DO NOT PUT FOAM UNDER THE BOTTOM GLASS!!! I did that with a 29 gallon and was told that is what caused it to crack. They are made the way they are to be supported from the edges. If you put foam under the glass you will have pressure down from the outer edges and up from foam in the middle causing the glass to break. Make sure it is on a flat, level surface and the load is well distributed and you will be ok.

Ah thanks for that warning! Maybe I'm just underestimating how strong these tanks are..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom