How often do you test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have bad OCD and test my water 2x's a day!!! :(

How often should you be testing it? Everyday? Every other day?

Haha i honestly test like once a month. Haha tooooo busy to test, almost too busy for water changes!!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha i honestly test like once a month. Haha tooooo busy to test, almost too busy for water changes!!

OMG!!! Once a MONTH!!! I'd need mediation!!! LOL!!! I'm just wondering if I'm going a little too crazy and maybe I can relax a little. And not test 2x's a day!

Testing twice a day is crazy stuff! Haha i honestly dont have time for that, and i have no idea how a fire chief has that type of time!!!! Haha ya i know i should do it at least once a week..

I have bad OCD and test my water 2x's a day!!! :(

How often should you be testing it? Everyday? Every other day?

Haven't tested my water since ......July/August .. around there sometime.:eek:
As "bad" as that sounds, if your consistent with proper tank maintenance, you should be able to maintain good water parameters. I'll let the fish tell me how my water's doing ... they don't lie ... particularly rummy-noses.

Convict2161 said:
Haha! Ok I gotta tone it down and start enjoying this hobby.

Haha ya if you go all out right now who knows, you might get bored once you cant put any more fish in your tank....... :(

jcolon said:
Haven't tested my water since ......July/August .. around there sometime.:eek:
As "bad" as that sounds, if your consistent with proper tank maintenance, you should be able to maintain good water parameters. I'll let the fish tell me how my water's doing ... they don't lie ... particularly rummy-noses.

I agree. I only test if something goes wrong or looks off (or to prove the fish 'expert' wrong at the LFS lol). Maybe once every month or two.

Mumma.of.two said:
I agree. I only test if something goes wrong or looks off (or to prove the fish 'expert' wrong at the LFS lol). Maybe once every month or two.

Really?!? So I don't have to test this much?! lol I went through a whole test kit in less then a month!!! :(

Testing often can be helpful but its more important when you are starting out, or making changes. The one thing I would add though, it is more helpful if you keep a log/journal of your test results. That becomes helpful when a problem comes up. You can see any trends in your parameters that may indicate what has happened or gone wrong.

I personally don't test all that often. Couple times a month unless I am starting a new tank or making changes to an existing one. If any of my fish seem off I will test as well.

It depends if your tank is cycling, recently cycled or well established. While cycling I test everyday or every other day, once established I test once a week on the weekend with the 50% water change, I don't bother to test params on the midweek 25% water change.

It's not necessary but if you enjoy testing the water twice a day and its not making you crazy than by all means test away. Oh and the only time I ever test twice a day is when there is an issue and I do a water change then I test about an hour later.

Convict2161 said:
Really?!? So I don't have to test this much?! lol I went through a whole test kit in less then a month!!! :(

As everyone else said not if you tank is well established. You've only just moved tanks and changed filters so a couple of times a week is fine IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
As everyone else said not if you tank is well established. You've only just moved tanks and changed filters so a couple of times a week is fine IMO.

Gotcha Mumma! :)

I'm testing once daily at the moment but that's because my tank is overstocked and I have females due to birth so I want to keep my water immaculate. I'm also doing daily PWC.

When cycling everyday but other then that only if something seems wrong it's been 4-5 months since my last test but I do 2-3 water changes weekly

Well ... look on the bright side ... you got lots of practice using the kit! Nothing wrong with testing once or twice a day, shows your committed!

Eventually, the longer you stay with this hobby and the more comfortable you become, you'll trust that water parameters don't just change on their own on a whim. Stay on top of routine maintenance with a trusted de-chlorinator and the rest should take care of itself.

Back
Top Bottom