how often should I change this!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I changed my filter system from a hob to a canister 3 weeks ago. I used the established media from my hob and put it on top of the ceramic rings in my canister to get it started. How long should it take to get the ceramic rings established ? Should I leave the media in longer ? Also, how often should I change the filter floss or do I just clean it...

I changed my filter system from a hob to a canister 3 weeks ago. I used the established media from my hob and put it on top of the ceramic rings in my canister to get it started. How long should it take to get the ceramic rings established ? Should I leave the media in longer ? Also, how often should I change the filter floss or do I just clean it...
Hey, i would say your good to take it out. I believe(and stand corrected) that the BB multiples every 24/48hrs. I would remove it but keep it in a bowl of old tank water and after 48hrs, check your tank water and if your tests are good, you could dump it. In saying that though, i always keep my old sponges, they are good for cleaning in and around the tank..What type of canister have you got??

I bought a used pennplax 700 for 25.00 I've heard mixed reviews on this filter but so far its been working great. This is my first canister. I had an emperior 400 hob on my tank that worked just fine but it was a bit loud. I just wanted to make the back of my tank look a little better instead of a bulky hob filter. Also took the hoods off the top this weekend. Looks much better (imo). Just hope I don't have any jumpers. So far so good

I bought a used pennplax 700 for 25.00 I've heard mixed reviews on this filter but so far its been working great. This is my first canister. I had an emperior 400 hob on my tank that worked just fine but it was a bit loud. I just wanted to make the back of my tank look a little better instead of a bulky hob filter. Also took the hoods off the top this weekend. Looks much better (imo). Just hope I don't have any jumpers. So far so good
I'm not too familiar with American brands of canisters but they all basically work the same with the same lay-outs. If you want your water to sparkle, try this set-up. Almost ALL filters can be customized and i have always done this, both internals and canisters.
I'm not sure how many trays you have but lets say it's 3..This is the layout i have from the bottom up... If you have 4, add an extra tray of Matrix.

1. Course Pad
2.Bio-Media(I have 2 trays for this). 1 tray of Ceramic Rings/Noddles, 1 tray of Plastic Bio-Balls.
3. A medium course pad on top of the Bio-Balls
4. As much Filter Floss as i can squeeze in the top tray. I use stuffing(same as filter floss) from a cheap $1-2 bed pillow. I place the polishing pad on top of the floss to hold it down and stop any loss floss clogging the motor and impeller.
5.Finally i top it off with 2x100g bags of Purigen...

I plan on replacing ALL my Bio-Media with Seachem Matrix. I will of course do this gradually. You could go with just one bag of Purigen. I just like a bit of overkill!!

My filter has only two baskets. I put coarse sponge then filter floss in the bottom basket. Then, my bio rings in the top basket. Should I put more floss in that basket or just have the bio rings ?

My filter has only two baskets. I put coarse sponge then filter floss in the bottom basket. Then, my bio rings in the top basket. Should I put more floss in that basket or just have the bio rings ?
No i would leave the bio-rings there or you could replace them slowly with Seachem Matrix(has a lot more internal and external surface area). If it was me i would take out the coarse sponge and try it with a full tray of floss. Hold onto the pad though and if you think the floss is getting clogged too quickly you could put it back in. I'm trying to up-load a video of my 55g to show you how clear my tank is....I can't seem to upload it????

I can't seem to upload it, If you want to PM me your email and i will happily email it to you. It is in .mp4 format....

Back
Top Bottom