How often should i replace aquaclear 20 media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have an aquaclear 20 on my 10 gallon tropical. I use polyester for mechanical and bag my own carbon.
Obviously I should never replace my bio media but how often should I replace mechanical and carbon? Thanks:)

mfdrookie516 said:
Carbon.... no need for it. Mechanical... every 10 years or so once it's falling apart.

You're joking, right?
I clean mine every 4 months, when it stops working. Haha

You're joking, right?
I clean mine every 4 months, when it stops working. Haha

No, not at all. I've had the same sponges for almost 3 years in my 405 and almost 2 years in an AC. They look brand new, with a brown tinge. Just rinse every so often. You said clean, they asked about replacing. Big difference.

mfdrookie516 said:
No, not at all. I've had the same sponges for almost 3 years in my 405 and almost 2 years in an AC. They look brand new, with a brown tinge. Just rinse every so often. You said clean, they asked about replacing. Big difference.

Oooooh... now I see.... oops... lol. I never replace mine either.

SleepsWithFish said:
I clean my sponge once a week.

That should keep it nice and clean. :) the only thing I don't like about never replacing the sponge, is that it is harder to tell if its dirty or clean after it's been dyed that color by the dirt and crud...

Throw out the polishing pads and buy some sponge pads, dump the active carbon and get some ceramic rings. You won't have to buy new filter media for years to come, and you won't have to throw away your colony of beneficial bacteria because you won't have to change your filter media.

I already have sponge pads. Is the ceramic rings for biological filtration? Because I already have those. And why no carbon?

Back
Top Bottom