How to add plants to your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WillyNillyFishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 29-gallon tank. I am really new to tank care. I have blue coated pebbles or gravel for the bottom of the tank and a few decoration. I really want to put in some plants for my tank. I currently have 2 cory catfish and 1 tetra because he dominated the others. So I want plants to give them a hiding place and keep the water conditions in check. However, I've been researching on how to do it. It's getting confusing.

How do I go about adding plants? What do I need? would the gravel I have now be okay?

I want to add plants like Amazon sword, java moss, and green tiger lotus.

could some give me the step by step?

Your light source will have a big impact on plant selection and success. I love low tech plants most of which are not actually planted. They are tied to wood or rock. Easy to rearrange when the mood strikes. IMG_1975.jpg

I just ordered some plants from Han Aquatics online. I told him my budget and he picked out some low tech plants to get started on converting to a planted tank from a plastic plant tank. The plants arrived very nicely. He sent two types of anubias that I attached to driftwood as well as a java fern that I attached to rocks. There were a couple other plants in there as well. I live very close to Lake Michigan so I headed to the beach for driftwood and rocks. I cleaned everything well from the beach including some boiling on the stove. Now time will tell how I did with the "planting" of everything. I would search up low tech or beginning aquarium plants or do what I did and find a reputable aquatic plant dealer near you or on line and ask their advice. I found some very helpful youtube videos on planting the plants and attaching the plants that do not like to be buried in substrate. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom