How to build a light for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asudavew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone built a quality light setup for their 10 gallon planted tank using only supplies from Lowe's or HD.

I'd be interested to know the parts used!

two easy ways... first get a reg hood for the 10 gallon tank. the ones with screw in bulbs. dont put normal bulbs in there put in the cfl bulbs. this is your best option all the work is done for you. you could also build a good and wire it up for the same type of thing with the sockets.

i built one a using scavenged recessed ceiling light kit from the job site. i just happened to luck out that it had a ballast which was for 26 watt compact fluorescent and it could be wired for 1 or 2 bulbs. i'm planning on putting 52 watts over a 10 or 15 gallon for growing some high light plants and making it my shrimp tank. i found the bulbs at lowes or hd (cant remember which) they were made by Lights of America and are 6500k and cost only $10. I'm still working on constructing the hood out of some aluminum stock left over from work.
if you can find an electric supplies store near you, your ballast options would be much better than HD or Lowes.

Back
Top Bottom