How to care for rubber lip plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stop.alvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have received a piece of manzanita driftwood from a friend and I e heard that plecos love to rasp on wood. I want a pleco in my 30 gallon, and I like the looks of BN plecos, but I can't find those locally :( . So I've seen rubber lips at lfs, and they can be in 30 gallon.
If you have one, what do u feed it? does it hide all day? Give me info

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There is one in my fish room. It doesn't really hide no. It eats algae wafers and left over fish food that the guppies miss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is one in my fish room. It doesn't really hide no. It eats algae wafers and left over fish food that the guppies miss.

Is it aggressive?

Nope. I had one a few years ago before that tank had a heater malfunction and he was generally pretty outgoing but not aggressive.

I really like them. However I have had a couple of them die on me because I couldn't get them to eat. I have been told they are wild caught and sometimes it's hard to get them to eat. Be prepared for that.

Ive got some BN Plecos if ya need some. Pm me if interested.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I went to petsmart and saw that they had BN plecos. But they were so tiny. So I didn't it them
Is it ok if I keep it in a ten gallon temporarily?

How long are we talking? 1 to 2 months temporary?

If PappaRyno says it's ok until they grow a bit then I'd trust him
He knows more about it than I do. Just don't buy a tank buster common pleco and expect it won't grow bigger than the tank space allows because that's a fallacy.

Just got a royal and he's chomping away at the algae buildup which makes me happy.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just got a royal and he's chomping away at the algae buildup which makes me happy.

Don't royals need like 100 gallons+? I only have a 30 gallon and that 10 gallon I mentioned

How many months is the maximum?

Bn Plecos only get to like 4 inches. Mine grew pretty fast. Keep him rolling in algae wafers and it shouldn't take very long before he's big enough to leave the ten gallon, although they're so good at hiding that I wouldn't bother growing him out unless you have aggressive fish. I feed him about once a week with algae wafers and let him scavenge the rest of the time.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are some species that stay relatively small.

There are some species that stay relatively small.

Slow growers too. My l134 is only 3" and almost 2 years old. My juvie bn grew like way fast.. my rio paraguay is slow growing too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom