How to Change Entire Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maniniboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have an Aqueon Quietflow 10 on my 10 gallon tank but I want to swap it for an Aquaclear 30 to get more filtration and possibly keep my water clearer. I was wondering how I should go about switching filters without losing all my beneficial bacteria... I was thinking of just running both filters for a little while until the Aquaclear gets colonized, but how long would I do that for? Another idea I had was to put the filter media from my Aqueon into the Aquaclear for a little bit but I don't know if it will fit... Thanks

I don't think the blue plastic piece will fit in the new filter. I would run them both for a few weeks. That would be a good option. Honestly, the bacteria is all over your aquarium and will act as a seed for the new filter. You probably would be fine just swapping them. Have you considered both all the time? I mean why not? I had this crazy Rena Xp3 canister on my 20 for 6 months when i first knew I wanted a big tank. I figured upgrade the filtration first haha.

Run the new filter next to the old for 2-4 weeks or you can cut up the old media and put it into the new filter. Either way watch for ammonia and nitrite spikes for a few weeks afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom