How to change out substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two tanks that I would like to switch out the substrate. Both are cycled.

The first one I would like to change is from gravel to sand. I think it would be best for my julii cories. My readings for this tank are 0, 0, 15-20, 8.1 temp 78 farhenheit. Two of my cories have lost their barbels. They were healing and growing back and then lost again. Because my readings are good, I think it is the gravel and not poor water quality.

The second one I would like to change is from one color gravel to another color. I have glo-light tetras and will be adding neon tetras after the change and good readings. The readings are currently fine and match the above except the N3 is 10-15. I know the change in substrate may affect the cycle since some of the BB is in the gravel. I will, however, be using the same filter, fake plants, and wood which should also have BB.

What is the best way to do this. Ideally I would like to change it all at once so I don't have mixed substrates. I know new substrate must be rinsed of all dirt and dust.

Is it okay to change it all out at once? Do I do a water change at the same time or should I wait so as not to stress the fish out too much? Should I remove the fish to a bucket of the tank water? It would be easy for me to do that with the 14 gallon because it only has a few glo-light tetras.

The 20 gallon would be a bit more difficult because there are more fish - 11.

While I'm asking - I will eventually be moving some fry (about 3.5 months) to a bigger tank, but the lighting is different. They currently have LED, but would be moved into a tank with yellowish, darker light. Or, I can wait to cycle a new 20 gallon tank which has LED lights.

Boy, I wish when I started the hobby, I knew to get a bigger tank which I understand is easier to maintain good water and wouldn't require testing water from 4 different tanks.

Thanks for your help. I don't want to do anything wrong!

So, it should have minimal impact on your cycle. Unless there is a water flowing through your gravel than very little bacteria will be in the gravel with a tank that is not established.

If you tanks are small I would remove the fish, drain the water, replace the substrate and refill with dechlorinated water.

EDIT: I forget to add....then replace the fish. :)

EDIT 2: The light is not going to be that big of a deal to your fish.

So, it should have minimal impact on your cycle. Unless there is a water flowing through your gravel than very little bacteria will be in the gravel with a tank that is not established.

If you tanks are small I would remove the fish, drain the water, replace the substrate and refill with dechlorinated water.

EDIT: I forget to add....then replace the fish. :)

EDIT 2: The light is not going to be that big of a deal to your fish.

One tank is 20 gallon and one is 14. Both are established. I vacuum the gravel once a week and there is a decent amount of waste fom the 20. Should I still drain all the water?

One tank is 20 gallon and one is 14. Both are established. I vacuum the gravel once a week and there is a decent amount of waste fom the 20. Should I still drain all the water?
It is not a requirement but it makes changing the substrate out a lot easier.

Ok. So I assume the established filter and decor have enough BB so as not to disrupt the cycles.
The majority of the BB should be in your filter. If your aquarium is well established their will be some in the gravel but at worse this should cause a small mini-cycle as long as you preserve what is in the filter.

The majority of the BB should be in your filter. If your aquarium is well established their will be some in the gravel but at worse this should cause a small mini-cycle as long as you preserve what is in the filter.

Cool. Thank you. I changed the color of the 14 gallon from blue to black. I will monitor my water closely.

I have to buy the sand for the 20 gallon.

I appreciate your help.:thanks:

BB need highly oxygenated water, such as the flow in your filter, not to mention the constant supply of ammonia in there. I'd probably rinse the tank once you get it bare just to remove as much waste add possible and avoid cloudy water when you refill it. I.e drain water-remove substrate-rinse-strain-New substrate-fish

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BB need highly oxygenated water, such as the flow in your filter, not to mention the constant supply of ammonia in there. I'd probably rinse the tank once you get it bare just to remove as much waste add possible and avoid cloudy water when you refill it. I.e drain water-remove substrate-rinse-strain-New substrate-fish

I did the change already and did not drain and rinse. What if I put an air stone?

I did the change already and did not drain and rinse. What if I put an air stone?

I was just stating that the substrate doesn't contain a significant amount of bacteria unless you're only using an under gravel filter. Was it cloudy when you filled out back up or did it stay pretty clean?

I know I've read on the past that when switching to sand (something I'll be doing as well) it is recommended to put a dinner plate on the bottom when filling back up and carefully pour the water onto the plate to keep it from stirring it up, especially important if you dirt the tank and put a sand cap on it.

Back
Top Bottom