How to cycle 2 gallon saltwater aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is going to be a dwarf seahorse tank. Just added salt today. How exactly do I cycle such a small tank? Like for larger tanks I hear leaving a raw piece of shrimp in and let it disintegrate and watch the PH ammonia nitrate nitrite consistently. But how do I cycle for such a small tank? And when i do weekly water changes of 25 percent of the water, should I just buy prepared saltwater with like 0 ammonia and everything? Because won't I need to cycle the new water?

Do the same thing with this tank as you would with an other tank. Just leave a raw piece of shrimp in there.

Anyways, it seems to me that you don't understand the concept of cycling a fish tank, so read this article. Cycle your salt tank

It will teach you how to cycle your tank properly.

Also, could you get your hands on something like a 5G instead of the 2G? I know recommendations state between 2 - 5 - 10G's, but with a 2G, you will quickly find yourself running out of space. Just something to think about.

Your cycling the tank and some kinda surface area for the bacteria you create when you cycle will live on. The water will come and go. What are you putting in the tank? Sand? Rock? 2g is gonna be tuff I believe. Need some water movement in there. Filtration thoughts?

I don't know how you're going to keep a 2g pristine enough for sea horses. I had a 3 running for a while and man, that was tough! Too much flow, or no surface agitation, no filter options, used lr, topped it off nearly twice a day.

I agree with zero, maybe slightly larger? If nothing else, to make your own life easier?

i also have just set up a 2 gallon and i was wondering if i could put pure ammonia in the tank to cycle it (instead of raw shrimp), i have some left over from cycling my freshwater tanks.

Thanks. And yes you could use that pure ammonia. And I was thinking of letting my herd grow before upgrading to the 5 gallon.

Yep. Pure ammonia is fine to use. I plan on using this method for my current setup when it's time to filler 'er up.

Hey im using the shrimp method to cycle. Do I put the tail in as well?

I bought this two gallon tank for my soon to be dwarves, and it came with a mini filter. I covered it with a filter bag, so they don't get sucked in when I buy them. How can I tell it has enough flow? Its a slow water movement. Maybe I should buy a Penn plax mini filter instead?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom