How to find fish vets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aphen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I can't find an aquatic veterinarian in my area (Buffalo NY). Is there an online directory?

Dont know if this helps.

https://www.opvmc.com/pet-resources/avian-exotic.html

Generally vets that deal with exotic pets do fish. Generally unless you have very expensive fish its not worth going to the vet. They will just be looking things up on websites similar to this one. Someone a while back (Andy Sager I think) linked a UK vets resource for fish and i think you would get better knowledge on a forum. The only advantage to a vet is that depending on where you are located a vet can prescribe medication that would otherwise be unavailable. You are US based thats not such an issue for you.

I can't find an aquatic veterinarian in my area (Buffalo NY). Is there an online directory?

I don't know of any directory for the US but you might want to contact Association of Zoos and Aquariums to see if they have any records of Vets in your area or since you are in Buffalo, Vets in Canada that may help. (y)

As Aiken stated, unless you have some expensive fish that need injectable meds, it may not be worth the costs of dealing with an exotics Vet. What is it that you are trying to treat?

You can try the department of agriculture. They usually have a fish health department with fish vets. otherwise call vets and ask them if they have done the fish health course or if they know a fish vet.

Footnote: I would beware of crossing the border with something live. Our neighbors to the north have cracked down in recent years on what may enter their country, no matter the reason. But the real problem is coming back: US restrictions on any creature, dead or alive, are strict. I would've lost my perfectly average, non-endangered, 20 year sidekick healthy parrot to border patrol had I taken him with me on a one week vacation a few years ago. By "lost" I mean confiscated, put into a tiny quarantine box, and destroyed. No questions asked and no appeal. Fortunately I researched this subject while planning the trip, and was sufficiently horrified to leave my buddy at home.

Footnote: I would beware of crossing the border with something live. Our neighbors to the north have cracked down in recent years on what may enter their country, no matter the reason. But the real problem is coming back: US restrictions on any creature, dead or alive, are strict. I would've lost my perfectly average, non-endangered, 20 year sidekick healthy parrot to border patrol had I taken him with me on a one week vacation a few years ago. By "lost" I mean confiscated, put into a tiny quarantine box, and destroyed. No questions asked and no appeal. Fortunately I researched this subject while planning the trip, and was sufficiently horrified to leave my buddy at home.
Interesting. People take pets across the border all the time but I'm sure arrangements could be made if necessary. Parrots/ Birds have been an import nightmare for decades so you bring up a good point about bringing them back into the U.S. That said, I would not discount contacting a foreign Vet for information and possible " house call" to the U.S for injectables.

Back
Top Bottom