How to get clear water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobby08dtp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone new to the site and just started up again with the hobby about two months ago. I have a problem well not really a problem but I would like to have my water crystal clear? Is that possible with a planted tank with power filtration and about 6 inches of fish left for the tank to be at it's max? The water quality is fine and with in all the acceptable range and I do water changes about once a week though I only do about 20% not 25%. What can I do to get crystal clear water. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402454047.493293.jpg

Add filter floss/wool to filter media. Also add seachem purigen to filter media.
How long has tank been running for?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's been running for about two and a half months. I have two 350 or 450 bio wheel power filters. Do I put the floss/wool filter media before the replaceable carbon filter?

Your Tank Water

Hi everyone new to the site and just started up again with the hobby about two months ago. I have a problem well not really a problem but I would like to have my water crystal clear? Is that possible with a planted tank with power filtration and about 6 inches of fish left for the tank to be at it's max? The water quality is fine and with in all the acceptable range and I do water changes about once a week though I only do about 20% not 25%. What can I do to get crystal clear water. View attachment 240037

Hello bob...

Just two things: Large, frequent water changes. At least half the tank's volume every 2 weeks. Weekly will speed the process. And, Acurel poly fiber cut to fit filter media. Hopefully, it will fit the filter system. The ammonia reducer is the densest and works the best to attract and hold the small particles that make the tank water hazy.

B

Ok yeah I bought two different types of poly filter/floss. I put it in the bottom of my tube which sucks up the water. But it slowed the water flow in my power filter enough to stop the bio wheel from rotating. I'll try to cut a piece the same size as the disposable carbon filter and put it with that and see if that works better. Thanks guys, keep the comments and tips coming so I can perfect my tank.

I put filter floss in instead of the standard cartridge with my filter that has a bio wheel I believe it's a penguin 200 it works great and still allows the bio wheel to continuously spin.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So you don't put in the carbon replaceable filter, instead you put in the filter floss? Do you leave the bio wheel in? Do you leave the bio wheel as is?

Purigen for the win. Had same issue. Have a column tank so it is deep and u could see a slight haze under the lights. I double up the amount of purigen, not harmful just will allow it to last longer before recharge time, that's right easily rechargeable with prime. And then bought the wool and wow can I see a difference. Hope it helps.

I leave the bio wheel as is the carbon is unnecessary unless your using it for a specific reason like taking out medication. The filter floss is cheaper and can be rinsed out in the water you take out during a water change a few times before it needs to be replaced. On my filter I use the plastic part off the filter cartridge to hold back the filter floss I took the rest of it off.

Nice. I found some poly fil at Walmart. 100% polyester. The bag doesn't say it has any chemicals added. You think that stuff from Walmart will work?

Rinse out in some old thank water before you put it in but it looks like you'll be good.

It may be good to leave some of your old media in the filter for a couple weeks just in case your bio wheel can't handle all the ammonia let some bacteria build up

It's a mechanical filtration. That's what I want to use it for. For biological filtration I have penguin 350 biowheels. I think I'm going to leave in the chemical filters in the front and then put this filter media in the back of them.

Back
Top Bottom