how to get even flow between tank to sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobias101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how, i was wondering what kind/strength of power head i would need to be able to return the same amount of water to my tank as the overflow box is removing so the main tank and sump are in equillibrium. my tank is 100 gallons and the sump is gonna be a tal 30 gallon that im just gonna stick a skimmer and heater and maybe some live rock in. from the top of the tank to the sump it is a little a less than three feet.

I dont know much about these things but I have a ball valve on my line that comes from the overflows so that if the pump does not keep up I can slow the incoming. But I know more knowledgable people will be here soon.

Well, If you are using an overflow box then just make sure the pump is not rated higher than the overflow for 3 feet.

The way it works is the overflow box only drains as much water as the pump returns. If all is working as designed and the pump stops water will stop draining from the tank until the pump comes back on as long as the siphon does not break.

Bottom line, the overflow only works when the water level is raised above the overflow theashold.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom