How to get oil off of aquarium net?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had to get the sticky residue from a thermometer off of my glass, so I used oil to get it off. It was a little oil in a shot glass, but it somehow fell over and spilled onto the middle length of my net.. The part where the metal is twirled around itself.

How do I clean this off (without detergents, obviously), or would I be better off buying a new net? I'd hate to deliberately have an oil slick in the tank..

Unless it's some sort of really fancy net, just buy a new one. Better safe than sorry, and you won't be out a whole lot of money.

Regular cooking oil.. Soyabean oil I think.

A small container and use very hot water. Oil floats so when you stop seeing an oil sheen on top of the water after you dunk it in and swish it a bit then it's clean.

You could literally just use dawn dish soap on this and rinse it afterwards easily. No need to avoid detergents when you're washing something as piddly as a net

Jesse

A small container and use very hot water. Oil floats so when you stop seeing an oil sheen on top of the water after you dunk it in and swish it a bit then it's clean.

Water will not completely rinse oil
away because of the polar and non polar nature of the two.

You could literally just use dawn dish soap on this and rinse it afterwards easily. No need to avoid detergents when you're washing something as piddly as a net

Jesse
I agree 110% dish soap is designed to break up oils and allow them to be washed away.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom