How to get rid of hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently battling hair algae in my planted 5.5gal. What is the trick to getting rid of it. Should I lower the light time? Lower the ferts? Combination of both? TIA

The way I got rid of Hair algae was to get a balance between N03 (10ppm) & P04 (1ppm). I also reduced my lighting from 10 hours dailey to 7 hours for two weeks. I also stopped ferts during this time. It was gone in 2 weeks. This was in 20G tank. A 5.5G tank my be a little harder to maintain a balance. Also over dosing iron can cause algae problems.

You can also throw a blanket over the tank for 3-5 days and kill the algae. If you don't feed the fish during this time, they will eat some of the dead algae. Helping you clean up the mess a little. Also, your plants will be just fine in the dark.

As mentioned, make sure your Phos/Nitra ratio is 1:10. Be careful not to overdose on the ferts. You might consider buying a timer and having your lights shut off for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day. Alot of algaes love long, intense light periods.

HTH :wink:

You can also throw a blanket over the tank for 3-5 days and kill the algae. If you don't feed the fish during this time, they will eat some of the dead algae. Helping you clean up the mess a little. Also, your plants will be just fine in the dark.

As mentioned, make sure your Phos/Nitra ratio is 1:10. Be careful not to overdose on the ferts. You might consider buying a timer and having your lights shut off for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day. Alot of algaes love long, intense light periods.

HTH :wink:

I currently have 2 otos and 2 amanos in the tank and they are not going after the algae. I have reduced the timer to about 7hrs and I will only supply the tank with CO2 during the 2 week period. If this does not work or if the algae gets worse I may consider covering the tank for a few days. Thanks so far for all the responses!

Just wondering....how do you test your phosphate level?

theres probally a test. to me that seems worthless for phosphates, c02/o2 but ive never experienced a eral bad algae berakout

hair algae IME seems to be related to high phosphates. You want a 10:1 ratio of nitrates to phosphates.
Some fish food is really high in phosphate, and if you over feed (which we're all guilty of sometimes) its easy for a small tank to build up high lvls, when you have a small fish load producing little nitrate.

Phosphate kits are more common in marine setups, but are very useful in FW planted tanks too. I suggest the SeaChem phosphate kit. Its quite reliable, and not terribly priced.

Keeper,

Whats your fish load in that 5g other than the 2 otos and 2 amano's? Also what's your fert regime? As well as plants in the tank.

Perhaps your giving to much lovin with the ferts????

Mojo Troll said:
Keeper,

Whats your fish load in that 5g other than the 2 otos and 2 amano's? Also what's your fert regime? As well as plants in the tank.

Perhaps your giving to much lovin with the ferts????

Currently 4 female guppies with the otos and shrimp. I follow the Flourish chart for my dosing....adjusting my doses in accordance with my tank size. I is possible I am giving too much lovin to the plants. It is also possible that I may be overfeeding at times :oops: I have microsword, an amazon sword, bacopa a small roseafolia and a bunch of something that I have no idea(but it grows like crazy)

Keeper,

As I'm sure you know. Over feeding leads to decaying food on the bottum, which converts to Amon. Ever consider skipping a day of feeding every 3 or 4 days? That way the fish scavenge around and help clean up thier own tank, slightly.

I'm not sure if this is your first planted tank. Something that really helped me a lot was keeping a journal. Logging water para's, observations of the tank, CO2 levels various algaes etc.... When I seen a problem (most of it was dreaded algae) I would research it and use my journal for reference to try and resolve the problem. It actually helped out a lot.

BTW......did you upgrade the lighting in your 5g? My micro sword slowly wethered away to the point that I finally just tossed it in the compost pile. This was under 2.6 wpg.

That's a really good idea and I should have started a journal a long time ago. I am currently running 2 fully planted tanks 5.5gal and a 10gal(the fiances). Both tanks have upgraded PC lighting with the 5.5gal running 2 x 10watt PC and the 10 gal running2 x 20watt PC.

I will try the skipping the feeding every 4days and see what happens. Thanks for following the post so far!

Back
Top Bottom