How to get rid of Malaysian Trumpet snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticTherapy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I need advice on how to eradicate MTS. I tried many different methods but none of them worked, I finally decided to nuke the tank. I moved the fish to another tank and I am starting from scratch but how do I eradicate them in the gravel so I can re-use the gravel?

Is hot water effective? I was thinking washing the gravel and top it with hot water in a bucket. I read about using bleach but I'm not sure if I want to go there. The hot water from tap should be about 85 to 90. Do you think that's hot enough?

Any other advice or solution?

Thanks

Hi all,

I need advice on how to eradicate MTS. I tried many different methods but none of them worked, I finally decided to nuke the tank. I moved the fish to another tank and I am starting from scratch but how do I eradicate them in the gravel so I can re-use the gravel?

Is hot water effective? I was thinking washing the gravel and top it with hot water in a bucket. I read about using bleach but I'm not sure if I want to go there. The hot water from tap should be about 85 to 90. Do you think that's hot enough?

Any other advice or solution?

Thanks
Hello, you can use hydrogen peroxide. It will kill the snails & thier eggs. No need to worry about the residue because it breaks down into water & oxygen. Not sure how much to use in a gallon of water. I simply cover everything w water & add 1/4 of a 32oz bottle of 3%. Then let set for an HR or 2 & it will kill everything. Be sure to use a rubber glove to mix things up cause some are sensitive to it. Hope this helps you!!!!!

You can sift out big ones and pass along to someone with puffers. And some people like them / would want them. Periodically, I sift out the snails (in my smaller tanks) and usually just doing that makes me feel better because their are hardly any left. But eventually they grow up. You probably tried Assassin snails, did you try any Loaches? I have a few Kuhlis in my 30G and over a year and a half I'm not sure there are any MTS. Also the pero idea will kill off your BB on the substrate, so you'll likely have a mini cycle.

Reducing feeding can also help and vac'ing the substrate more. I rarely vac as I have plants and lots of roots which like the leftovers.

How to get rid of Malaysian Trumpet snails?

Answer: nuclear bomb.

---------------------

Boil or bake the gravel in the oven at 100C for an hour.

Wash all the plants and ornaments outside on the lawn. You can also put the plants and ornaments in salt water for a few minutes and then lift them out to wash under the garden hose. The salt will get the snails to retract and they will be less likely to stay attached to ornaments.

You will need to wash the filter and replace any fine media like sponges.

*NB* Do not wash the items under tap water that has a sink. The snails will survive the trip down the sewer and end up in the natural waterways.

Back
Top Bottom