How to get rid of phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have .25 ppm in my 75 gallon. Im guessing this is causing my brown sand. How can I get rid of phosphates without using any chemicals?

You can start by using ro/di water if youre not already and doing more frequent and larger water changes. You can cut back on the feeding, especially if you are feeding flake. You can also rinse frozen food with ro/di before feeding.

Then you can get a phosphate remover like rowa phos or something similar. I have used GFO (granular ferric oxide) in the past to help with phosphate issues. :)

I use ro premixed from the lfs. I change 20 gallons weekly. No flakes just frozen and fresh seafood. Your probably right about the food though. It's a puffer tank so he does make a mess. Of course I was recommended phosphate remover but i don't trust it . I was also told since im using a canister that y I have them

I have a canister on my 55g and don't have phosphates so it's not alwasy the case. The rowa phos will work though.

have you tested the water from the lfs? I had an lfs that was selling me ro/di water that had nitrates and phosphates in it.

I had them check it. They guy didn't like that I had him do it . But I didn't have him check the phosphates. I'll definitly do that when I go this weekend.

A good investment might be your own test kit for the future. :-D

I use API liquid for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. For the more sensitive tests like calcium, magnesium, phosphates and alkalinity I use salifert test kits. A bit more money but always right on the money as far as results. I;ve used the API phosphate test and come up with none and then the salifert and have come up with a reading so depending on the test your lfs uses you might have a higher reading in reality.

I have the API freshwater kit. I also have the ammonia chart for saltwater and I just got the API phosphate test yesterday . Where can I find salivert test kits?

Back
Top Bottom