How to get sick cichlids to eat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have two albino strawberry peacock cichlids and they stopped eating (I think because of stress because they were getting bullied by my other cichlids) so I moved them in my 15 gal hospital tank (the cichlids are only about 2 inches) and they're still not eating, they've been in there for about 5 days and for the most part they seem healthy, no signs of parasites, not bloating, no discolouration and they're active. The female started to eat some food but then she spit it out. I've tried different foods such as their main food, blood worm, brine shrimp and veggies. None have been eaten. My cichlids in the main tank seem healthy and they have a regular cichlid diet (constantly bagging for food even after they have been fed) I got my tank levels tested and they were fine. I really like these cichlids, please tell me what I can do!

Also they have fin rips from the others picking on them, does this cause pain for them? Is there anything I can do so their fins to grow back? And they're quite skinny compared to my other peacock cichlid (I'm not sure if that's normal) i can take some pics of them and post it when I get home tomorrow.

Healthy tissue will regrow itself. If theres actual wounds melafix will help protect the wounds and prevent infection

OR SO IVE READ.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Healthy tissue will regrow itself. If theres actual wounds melafix will help protect the wounds and prevent infection

OR SO IVE READ.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Probably one of the few Melafix comments I can agree with..

Melafix is 99% water and 1% tea tree oil. Don't believe me check the SDS..

The oil is an antiseptic basically like pouring hydrogen peroxide on a cut a human has. It cleans wounds to prevent diseases...not cure diseases.

Caleb

Okay thank you! I'll pick some up tomorrow when I go out. Do you think this stuff would be sold at walmart? I've never heard of it until today

Maybe.

I read the original post and this sounds like a stress thing. Add lots of hiding places so they feel more comfortable and they might decide to eat.

Caleb

Peacocks are often shy by nature, they may nibble when no one is around. The single most important thing is good water quality to allow the injuries to heal. Secondly avoid foods high in protein (brine shrimp etc) as their prone to Malawi bloat. Fish can fast upwards of a month so don't stress. What fish were they in with that caused the damage? Stock compatability is crucial with peacocks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My jewel cichlid is the one that did it, she was fine with my other peacock but all of a sudden with these two she's being super aggressive with them. My heater for my hospital tank broke so I had to put them back in the main and today I looked at the female and a piece of her eye is peeling, looks like an injury. Is it possible to maybe put her in with my 10 cherry barbs, 2 corys, blind cave fish and assorted shrimp? I mean that tank has a heater and those fish are for the most part non aggressive. Although I think the bio load is at it's max in that tank. Another question, i have 6 cichlids and a pleco in a 30 gallon but I'm moving them into a 75 very soon, do you think things will get better once they're in a larger tank? Ps I have lots of hiding places but idk. And I know I shouldn't have mixed these types of cichlids together, it was a gamble. Sorry for the long msg but I'm kinda attached to all my cichlids, what can I do to lower aggression and stress?

Back
Top Bottom