How to Grow grass in tropical fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to put some sort of grass in my 80 galón tropical tank, is it posible? Because ive seen really nice aquariums with grass that covers all of the gravel. Any advise Will help me

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I actually came across sheets on grass in a tub on sunday at kesgrave aquatics they have a website apparently you break the gel and drop the jail with some grass in your tank the grass grows in the tank and spreads

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Carpeting type grassy plants are usually high light/high CO2 to keep them healthy. Most beginners find it frustrating.
BUT it never hurts to try. Find out the name of the plant to make sure it's really fully aquatic.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carpeting type grassy plants are usually high light/high CO2 to keep them healthy. Most beginners find it frustrating.
BUT it never hurts to try. Find out the name of the plant to make sure it's really fully aquatic.

I agree. I would like to grow that type of grass but I have plecos and such and don't have the lighting of CO2. I am growing some tall grasses with no problems though. It's not growing fast but it's looking healthy.

Plus usually you need sand or a finer plant friendly substrate to hold down tiny Dwarf Hair Grass (DHG) roots.

And if you have sand you wouldn't want to siphon or disturb the sandbed.

Generally if you have a carpeted tank bottom, which is often what aquarists call that 'lawn' look, vacuuming the bottom becomes impossible. You can siphon carefullly to pull stuff that's sitting on the bottom up, but you have to be careful not to pull out the plants too. Once a carpet is well established, it's less prone to being pulled up.

Java moss is always an option, easy to grow regardless of lighting conditions from what I've read.

Narrow leaf chain sword. My whole tank is carpeted. No ferts no c02. Just weekly water changes.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should buy grass that already grown and meant for aquariums so you know it will work. So it could be possible.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have dwarf sag or narrow leaf chain sword (can't remember which) that does really well in my 55 gallon tank. In a years time, it's almost covered my gravel (no sand). I have plain old marineland led under the rim lighting, and I don't use co2 or fertilizers. When I vacuum, I just hover above the grass, making the blades of grass move around. I don't really dig into the gravel, since what is buried is what is naturally fertilizing my plants.

Back
Top Bottom