how to keep plants from floating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danchisum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I'm going to buy Penn-Plax® Aquarium Plant Anchors to keep my plants from floating while still planting them lights into my soil, but I'm not sure about how to do the same for grasses or moss. Can you buy a net to grow grasses on that will keep everything anchored to the bottom of the tank?

The key is just getting it buried in the substrate. Eventually, as it starts to grow, the roots will spread, and it will be tough to get it out of the tank (opposite problem you have now :) ). Careful with the plant anchors, they can work, but they can also smash leaves, stems, and roots, if not carefully applied.

Another suggestion for small plants is to take a couple of toothpicks and push them into the substrate on each side of the plant. Cross the tops of the toothpicks over the center of the plants. You can also cut some small L's out of plastic water bottles and push the long side of the L into the substrate and use the short bar to hold the plant until they root. I have done that with dwarf sage and they both work.

I think I'm going to buy Penn-Plax® Aquarium Plant Anchors to keep my plants from floating while still planting them lights into my soil, but I'm not sure about how to do the same for grasses or moss. Can you buy a net to grow grasses on that will keep everything anchored to the bottom of the tank?

I would suggest if you're trying to get moss to grow to use string to tie it around something you want it to grow on, or wedge some in between rocks or something and wait. Moss tends to be pretty hardy and will grow about anywhere. For other plants if you get your plants from the Lfs they may have weights on them already you could readjust and use for keeping the plants down and take off after the plant has anchored itself into the substrate

anything with a rhizome you could try using a Cholla stick since it looks pretty cool with plants growing out of it and is good for a variety of bottom dwellers.
There are floating plants, plants that grow out of soil and the in between type that have rhizomes that must be above the substrate. Then there is moss which grows on things, in a ball or in a giant floating mass.

Back
Top Bottom