How to keep red cherry shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never done a sponge, are they easy to set up?

It's just a little sponge you throw over the filter intake. It's really simply to set up. Will take you all of 20 seconds lol. You just push the sponge over the filter intake. Easy as that.

So how does it filter the water? Just mechanical
Do you have a HOB filter? If so, there's a small intake that runs into the tank that sucks water up, all you do is put a small sponger over the intake. The water can still travel through the sponge into the filter without sucking up the small shrimp. They like to hang onto the sponge & eat the little things that get stuck in it. The water is still able to travel through the sponge into the filter.

Do you have a HOB filter? If so, there's a small intake that runs into the tank that sucks water up, all you do is put a small sponger over the intake. The water can still travel through the sponge into the filter without sucking up the small shrimp. They like to hang onto the sponge & eat the little things that get stuck in it. The water is still able to travel through the sponge into the filter.

Not yet, i thought a sponge filter is somthing dfferent from a hob with a spong on the intake sorry lol

It's just a little sponge you throw over the filter intake. It's really simply to set up. Will take you all of 20 seconds lol. You just push the sponge over the filter intake. Easy as that.

+1 agree....simple and RCS will love it....you can get fluval edge sponge that may slide right on ( the hole is premade and fit right onto AC filters) at your LFS

Not yet, i thought a sponge filter is somthing dfferent from a hob with a spong on the intake sorry lol
Not a problem, I figured that's what had you confused. Lol. It's just a normal filter with a little sponge covering the water intake. :).

That blue thing in the pic is my old sponge I had over my filter. I have a better black one now. I bought it off amazon. Like 3 sponges for $7 or something like that. I'd recommend a black one, that way you can see all the baby shrimp on it.

There's also another pic of some of my RCS :). A few babies as well. Eating an algea wafer lol.

Attachments

• image-4204879253.jpg
    image-4204879253.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2237091315.jpg
    image-2237091315.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 80
I agree about the planetinverts site. It has a ton of good information. RCS will eat the same foods as your fish. You can give them shrimp pellets if you want to make sure they are getting the correct nutrients. It's pretty wild when they molt and another shrimp will come along and eat the discarded shell.

Just a quick one. Won't attaching a sponge filter on the end of the intake make the motor work harder to draw water through the filter in turn decreasing its life? I can see the advantage of doing so but just curious :)

I feed mine algae wafers,but they dissolve. An leave a mess. So I use blanched zucchini & cucumbers. No more than a 1/4" thick, boil to soft. Cool `em off w/cold water,and sink. Depending on how many you`ve got,I had @that time about a hundred.So I used 3 & split into two halves.

Just a quick one. Won't attaching a sponge filter on the end of the intake make the motor work harder to draw water through the filter in turn decreasing its life? I can see the advantage of doing so but just curious :)

IMO If this was a conventional motor (rotor/shaft physically connected to motor) it might be the case. HOB motors are typically electromagnetic so if there is resistance at the intake it would result in less water flow and, possibly, the motor would run a bit hotter. Yes, running hotter would decrease the life of some components; not sure if this would apply to HOB motors in any way that you would notice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom