How to lose your hair in 29 gallons.My BC 29 build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NyteGTI said:
Hey Dino is this tank near a window? will it get any indirect sunlight? I thought I saw a curtain in the first pic. indirect sunlight + "draft" from a window can be bad for a tank this little. not so much the draft but the sunlight will help algae growth.

Yes it is but.... I had my buddy tint the windows ;) yes sir! 5% tint on the picture window and window closest to the tank. New windows not even a year old so no draft. I do have a heat issue. I have baseboard heat and with the heater on 72 my tank is 80 degrees is that ok?

And Ryan, your right bro.... Going to get more rock today to add to back. I was being overly cautious, makes sense I don't need to clean the back so off to John's I go!! :)

haha. 80 is fine(My temp swings from 78-82) depending on what lights are on. Is that with lights on or off? remember at the end of your light cycle(photo period) your tank will be warmer than it is sitting lights off.Remember that fuge light creates heat so if you're at 80 now, you'll be at 81-82 with the fuge light gonig fully blast for 16 hrs.

NyteGTI said:
haha. 80 is fine(My temp swings from 78-82) depending on what lights are on. Is that with lights on or off? remember at the end of your light cycle(photo period) your tank will be warmer than it is sitting lights off.Remember that fuge light creates heat so if you're at 80 now, you'll be at 81-82 with the fuge light gonig fully blast for 16 hrs.

Man ok... I noticed a glass window in the back of the bio cube for chamber 2 could I affix a light to the window instead of an underwater one? Also here are some updated pics. Just got back from John's.

View attachment 70592

View attachment 70593

View attachment 70594

View attachment 70595

View attachment 70596

Last edited:
so when you dropping a shrimp in a bag in the tank? grab a cocktail shrimp, a media bag, & drop it in :) or you can use the janitorial ammonia ace hardware sells. about 4-5ml will get you to 3-4 ppm ammonia in a 29G tank.

NyteGTI said:
so when you dropping a shrimp in a bag in the tank? grab a cocktail shrimp, a media bag, & drop it in :) or you can use the janitorial ammonia ace hardware sells. about 4-5ml will get you to 3-4 ppm ammonia in a 29G tank.

Probably gonna do the shrimp in a media bag. As soon as I get home.

Also an observation what type of surge protectors do you guys/gals use? I'm running outta room!! 1 actinic, 1 daylight, protein skimmer, moonlights, heater, 1 power head. Mine is a 8 plug surge protector, grounded from Monster. I have to more receptacles. 1 for the light for chamber 2 and 1 for if I go with the UV. If I do go UV I'm going with the one from Deep Blue. Then that's it! All full. Maybe I should get the 10 outlet one just incase.

Also an observation what type of surge protectors do you guys/gals use? I'm running outta room!! 1 actinic, 1 daylight, protein skimmer, moonlights, heater, 1 power head. Mine is a 8 plug surge protector, grounded from Monster. I have to more receptacles. 1 for the light for chamber 2 and 1 for if I go with the UV. If I do go UV I'm going with the one from Deep Blue. Then that's it! All full. Maybe I should get the 10 outlet one just incase.

I use something like this

built in day & night timers, it's kinda nice to have.

I have 12 sockets on my 125g and they are all full! LOL I need another strip soon as I want to add a bio pellet reactor and maybe a carbon one too. Fresh outta sockets. On my cube for example, I have two 6 plug strips. I like to keep my lights on a separate one so I can shut down the system and still have lights, for when I'm moving rock or doing a water change. :)

Looks awesome. As for the back chambers and media. Here is a suggestion on the way I set mine up. I have had perfect water parameters with it ran this way, as long as I do my weekly water changes.

Attachments

• image-350567092.jpg
    image-350567092.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 151
Thanks considering its my first time. LoL I'm staring at it in awe! Haha!! Yeah I like that rear chamber set up. I'm gonna try and do something like that.

I spoke to a oceanic tech guy for a out an hour he basically told me all the stuff it comes with nobody uses. LoL then why sell it with it all? Doesn't make sense to me.

Now onto another question. UV light? Do I need one? I'm NOT using the bio cube one I'd go with Deep Blue.

I like the light for the fuge set up, through the window better then the underwater light.

The led fuge light is great, pricey, but really good. :)

I would still wait on the UV, no need to rush out and waste money now. lol theres plenty of other things you can spend that cash on that can have greater impact. At least, thats my opinion.

I agree 100%. That's my next purchase. Make darn sure you have a QT tank set up for when you do get fish. I didn't an now I have ICH in my tank from my hawkfish.
About the biocube there is tons to do with them. They are the jeep of fish tanks . Haha

carey said:
I use this light on my cubes fuge, it attached via a magnet to the back of the tank

JBJ NANO Glo 4 LED Refugium Light - AquaCave

Carey I'm getting something along the same lines... It suctions to the window. I think corareef or coral reef? I forget the name. It has a daylight and a actinic it's nice, the exact size of the window. Should this light be on a timer? If so how long should this light stay on?

I'm getting more and more excited! :)

I have mine run opposite my regular lights set on a timer. I just have chaeto in the fuge though.

carey said:
I have mine run opposite my regular lights set on a timer. I just have chaeto in the fuge though.

Hmmmm ok. Right now I have live rock rubble, carbon pack filter floss or polishing pads and then the stock filter. I orders chem pure elite. Getting chaeto soon.

Can you add anything to chamber 3? That stupid sponge never stays at the bottom. Does anyone else have that problem? I check and it's floating to the top of the water line. I'm thinking what's the purpose of this.

So what's these chambers are all set up I should be good to go! :)

Adding cocktail shrimp in bio bag tonight.

3rd chamber where the pump is an the water level indicator is well... It was at the maximum level now it's almost full! What happened? What does that mean?

Ok question. I've had 2 friends of mine tell me to boot the hood of the bio cube and get a killer light so I can have whatever I want. They have no top on there tanks!!

How can this be?! Kinda a waste of money to put aside the top no? There telling me to get a better coral light with legs.

I hear so many things.

Also can someone answer my other question please? I've read the 3rd chamber the one with the pump should be a the maximum level. My water level is almost to the top an the sponge was floating. So I read on another forum to take a piece of polishing pad and wedge it in so the sponge doesn't rise to the top.

Is the water level ok if it's that high?

Haha!! Anybody out there?

Back
Top Bottom