How to move a full 20 gallon long tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 long tank with about 25lbs of gravel, some decorations, 4 platy and a bolivian ram in it. I currently have it on an old makeshift stand (toybox) and want to move it to a new tank stand I got. I was thinking of maybe siphoning 10 gallons into my 10 gallon tank, 2 gallons and the fish into a bucket, and dumping the rest of the water. Then move the tank, siphon the water back in, and add the fish. Does that sound ok? Would adding 6 gallons of new water cause too much shock to the ram?

What do you think?

New plan: Empty half the water, keep the fish in there, move the tank to the new stand, slide the stand into place, and siphon the water back in. The plan is much easier now that my dad can help me.

It sounds like a great plan to me. I change 50%+ on my tanks regularly (weekly) with no ill effects.

Don't put the drained water back in after the move. Just fill it back up with fresh water as if you did a PWC. 50% water change will not do any harm.

Ok, will do. Should I keep the fish in the half filled tank or net them out in a bucket?

Put them in a bucket, it will be easier. Also, if you're moving it with the gravel, try sliding it onto a board so that it's completely supported, and you and a friend lift the board, keeping the tank steady. That way the weight of the gravel, water and decor don't bust the bottom of the tank out. (had that happen once, was NOT amused)

Oh gosh, that just gave me a mini panic attack! Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom