How to replace filter cartridge without disturbing Nitrogen Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettalover333

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so the filter cartridge in my Tetras Whisper 20i is beginning to fall apart (This tank is relatively new so I haven't had to replace it yet). What is the best way to replace it without taking out too much bacteria? Should i soak it in tank water during a water change, or squeeze the water out of the old cartridge into the new one or what? Sorry I'm kinda new to this :)
Sorry i wasn't sure what category this should go under, there wasn't one on filters.

I think you picked the right category :)
If you possibly can fit both cartridges into your filter, that's what I would do. Just use them both together for a few days before you throw out the old one.
If you can't fit them both, I would just swish the old one in a bucket of water so all that lovely brown muck comes out, and let the new one soak in that water for a few minutes, and then add it to the filter. That should at least jump start your colony with a few million bacteria :)
If you do this second method, I would not do it on the same day you do a water change just to be on the safe side.

With that filter you can change the filter pad without worrying about disrupting your beneficial bacteria. The bio-filter portion, the black scrubby pad looking thing, will be fine rinsed in a bucket of tank water. The filter pad itself you can change when it falls apart without any worries. I have a few of these in use myself.

Back
Top Bottom